New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

512 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Leave

335 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Undecided

24 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

Falls on deaf ears mate - various industries have asked for clarity for months now all we get back is take back control and other sound bites - some lap that up

2. Didsbury Dave

Didsbury Dave

"Falls on deaf ears" is an understatement. Most Brexit voters are now wedded to their choice in the same way they would be a football team. That's been the mad social psychology of the whole thing over the last year or so. As every month goes by it becomes more and more obvious that this thing is unworkable and damaging. The political climate becomes more volatile and uncertain by the day. The ramifications for the future seem to become darker and darker: no tangible benefits whatsoever have emerged and as far as I can see it, nobody is even forecasting or propositioning anything positive. And the ghosts pile up, the web gets further tangled and the casualties fall by the wayside.

Whilst I don't respect their decision, I can understand why people voted Leave: some are old school little England toffs, many were white van men who feel disenfranchised or clever-clogs anti-establishmentarians. Lots just believed the bullshit from the unaccountable.

But I cannot for one fucking minute comprehend how a single one of these people does not regret their decision now as the reality starts to dawn.

3. Blue Hefner

Blue Hefner

I voted Leave. I suppose you could put me in the reluctant Leave camp. I have a decent life but thought that maybe, if we left we could have an outward looking agile country, in terms of immigration, trade and lead the way as an ‘independent’(for want of a better phrase) nation

However, it appears we have become more inward looking, in terms of immigration. We’ve hitched our wagon up the Trump trade horse, which is suicidal. As well as dismissing almost half of the population’s vote, people that voted Leave concerns and overwhelming evidence that this isn’t going to end well. All in the name of ‘will of the people’ - it’s fucking madness!!

There cannot be 50%+ of the population that would vote leave knowing what we know, surely?

For the first 6 months after the vote I was still in the Leave camp saying ‘get on with it’. Over the past year, it is clear there is no ‘it’

4. The Light Was Yellow Sir

The Light Was Yellow Sir

You’re not allowed to change your mind, it’s undemocratic! Not sure you’ll be worthy of full remoaner status but I expect you’ll be one of those getting blame the that it’s not going very well....

5. ballbag

ballbag

Is anything ever going to happen with Brexit? It seems like an eternity since the vote and I don't recall hearing/reading about anything progressing. The only thing I have seen is people turning on each other on social media (Shit like, "Aaah you lost, suck it up, snowflake" and "anyone who voted leave is racist", or "anyone who voted remain isn't patriotic"). So it appears the only thing it has achieved so far, to me at least, is to divide our own citizens and create another us and them mentality. Quite an amazing fuck up really.

6. Blue Hefner

Blue Hefner

I voted Leave. I suppose you could put me in the reluctant Leave camp. I have a decent life but thought that maybe, if we left we could have an outward looking agile country, in terms of immigration, trade and lead the way as an ‘independent’(for want of a better phrase) nation

However, it appears we have become more inward looking, in terms of immigration. We’ve hitched our wagon up the Trump trade horse, which is suicidal. As

7. Alan Harper's Tash

Alan Harper's Tash

it's becoming more and more apparent that we are going to be worse off as a result of leaving the EU. At what level of financial sacrifice should our elected parliament be looking to suggest that implementing this split is hugely detrimental to our country? Or should they stay with the will of the people and make sure that they will be ok personally to avoid the inevitable backlash from the people that want out no matter how much it makes their lives worse?

8. Blue Hefner

Blue Hefner

Things are definitely progressing, whether that is a positive or negative depends on your (vested) interest, I suppose

We have agreee to pay the EU £39bn. For leaving, without a guarantee of anything - which was not the governments position 6 months ago and has only become thier position after a Select Comitte asked a minister(name escapes me) several times what we got for our money

9. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

Tell us why, exactly why it's becoming 'more and more apparent' that We're going to be worse off. Bear in mind, that every single doom scenario forecast due immediately after the vote has proved to be spectacularly wrong.

10. ballbag

ballbag

Thank you, Mr Hefner. At least something IS happening. That's better than I assumed.