New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

540 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Leave

351 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Undecided

26 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. mcfc1632

mcfc1632

EEC = V. Good

EU = V. Bad

2. mcfc1632

mcfc1632

you obviously must be too young to have lived through those days to post like this - otherwise you would know the reasons for that situation

But this the Brexit thread - what you post is irrelevant to 2019

3. The Light Was Yellow Sir

The Light Was Yellow Sir

Too young? I wish. This is one of the problems with this thread though. I’ve highlighted the ONLY evidence of what this country has been like, in the past 60 years, outside the EU. Your only response is some facile reply stating that then isn’t now, nobody knows anything of history, save for yourself, and everyone else has no right to an opinion or, even worse, to look back at what the economic reality actually was.

4. arbabarshad

arbabarshad

In other words, @The Light Was Yellow Sir's opinion isn't valid, because he was too young at the time. Whereas @mcfc1632 opinion is valid because he/she understands the reasons better i.e. More informed opinion or an expert.

5. blueparrot

blueparrot

mcfc11632 still at it then only person I've ever put on ignore was condescending one too often for me :)

6. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

You seem to be arguing against the idea of not trading with Europe and i've not suggested advocating that. Europe is not the EU and you can trade with Europe without being a member of the EU. The tariffs are not going be anything as devastating as to turn us into the sick man of Europe. A BMW isn't suddenly going to cost £2.5m per unit. There is nothing to suggest we would become the sick man of europe again as a result of leaving the political bloc of the EU.

7. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

So we're in exactly the same position we're in as we are now, with the added bonus of trading outside the Eu to gain even more revenue and trade and no longer being tied to the political entity of the EU as well. Where's the issue?

8. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

That's my basic view of it. I wanted the EU to revert back to the EEC, (not EEA, either) they refused, I chose to leave.

9. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

Well, I for one am too young to remember what those days were like, and i'm fed up of people referencing it as justification to be against leaving. You're entitled to your opinion that you're worried those days will return, but given what I know from history, those days, the circumstances at the time, it isn't feasible or logical that such a situation would ever reoccur unless we, the UK , just sat back, did nothing and allowed ourselves to stagnate. The world is a different place now, there are more prosperous economies and numerous ones to do deals with, with the added understanding that the EU still needs to trade with the UK, it's biggest partner. I simply cannot envisage the terrible future outside the EU that you and others who are opposed to leaving do.

10. Gaylord du Bois

Gaylord du Bois

You couldn't make it up.
    Oh, you just have.