New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

510 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Leave

332 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Undecided

24 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

Troll off eh?

2. hilts

hilts

Thanks for the valid contribution to this thread

3. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

yeah yeah troll

4. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

Immigration controls into this country, regarding EU citizens, is a matter for the attention of the government. We have heard, long and loud, that there can be no control regarding the Eire situation, as EU citizens entering Eire, would be able to enter the UK without checks, which is true. However, anyone so doing, because of regulatory controls imposed by the UK, would mean, unless they possess a visa, or whatever methods we decide to impose, that they would then become subject to whatever penalty this country has decided to apply to persons entering in this way. Because of the unique situation with Ireland, this is the scenario I envisage, although I'm not the one formulating policy, other agreements may become the way we go.
    Anyone wishing to enter this country illegally can apply for a visa, and simply overstay, there are many ways, too many to list here, but the crux of this is that it's our decision how we control immigration, and in this particular case, I think the above solutions would be the route we take, but as I said, that's for the government to decide, as and when.
    Goods traded between the ROI and UK, as conducted now, would be subject to whatever tariffs we agree with the EU, or tariff free if that's agreed. I would imagine the latter would be implemented, but again, I'm not the one negotiating.
    Again, if it is the EU who want tariffs, then that would then mean retaliatory tariffs being applied to Irish products, do you think Eire wants that? No they don't, because after the USA, the UK is Ireland's largest trading partner.
    So who, in this negotiation is doing the blustering and foot stamping about tariffs and immigration? Not us, Brussels, because their politicised club is now in danger of fragmentation, but any restrictive measures placed on Ireland's trading capability with the UK, will most certainly not go down well in Dublin.

5. Len Rum

Len Rum

EU don't want tariffs mate, Canada style deal proposed by EU is (price) tariff free.

6. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Thanks. So in summary then, your position is:

1. Regards movement of people, an open door, but people who shouldn't be in the UK would be here illegally and it would be up to us how we deal with that. That doesn't strike me as a particularly viable "solution" to just let people enter freely and without any control, but hey ho, if that's your view then fine.

2. Goods. You seem stuck with this idea of whose problem is it, not what is the actual solution. As I said, I don't really give a toss who needs to sort this out, I am interested in what the solution might be, whoever sorts it out. It seems no-one has a solution.

No-one offering a viable solution is a rather key point if we are prevented from further trade negotiations until this is resolved. WTO trade rules or Brexit being reversed would be the inevitable outcomes unless something gives. And maybe a hard border if we end up with WTO rules.

7. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

Trending on Twitter yesterday

Vote for a united Ireland 2020....

seems they have a solution

8. hgblue

hgblue

Or Ireland should vote to leave the EU, cleanest solution for everybody ;). In other news, seems the Chancellor is going to announce the economy is doing better than expected again......

9. Len Rum

Len Rum

Yeah rock on tommy- growth forecast revised upward from 1.4% to 1.5% next year and trundling along at just over 1% in the following few years, lowest of all G7 nations and a few more.
    Also no effects of Brexit factored in, thought to be negative at least in the short term by all with the exception of a bunch of nutters.

10. Wreckless Alec

Wreckless Alec

Hi Chippy, fundamentally disagree with most stuff you write on this subject but enjoy the challenges you present.

Thought I'd pick you up on this comment which is one we do agree upon. How do you square this notion with the idea that we should be in a political union with people who are not particularly friendly towards us ?