New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

510 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Leave

334 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Undecided

24 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

I don't think there's any appetite in the UK to be part of a single European superstate. Well, hardly any.

The question is whether that's an inexorable future for the EU, and I simply don't believe it is. Sure there are factions who want it, but there are more factions which don't imo. And even if it did go that route, we could bail out then. There was no need to bail out now, just in case. We already had all the opt outs we needed, and there was literally ZERO chance of the UK agreeing to effectively disappear as a sovereign state, without there being another referendum on it. No government would have taken us down that route, which would represent a constitutional change bigger than anything since 1066, without a referendum. To imagine we could be taken there without the UK public agreeing to it, is simply unthinkable.

So I think those who voted to leave based on fears of a European superstate being the end game, have so voted in error. It may never happen, so there was no need to vote leave now. And if it did come to pass, we could leave then.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2018
  2. mcfc1632

mcfc1632

That is all invented wishful thinking IMO

".... and there was literally ZERO chance of the UK agreeing to effectively disappear as a sovereign state, without there being another referendum on it..."

"No government would have taken us down that route, which would represent a constitutional change bigger than anything since 1066, without a referendum. "

"To imagine we could be taken there without the UK public agreeing to it, is simply unthinkable."

patently utter bollocks - there are EU architects and leaders absolutely planning that direction and in ways that will see it implemented in the tried and trusted method of new treaties. How many PMs have promised a referendum and then reneged

"So I think those who voted to leave based on fears of a European superstate being the end game, have so voted in error. It may never happen, so there was no need to vote leave now."

" And if it did come to pass, we could leave then"

Absolute claptrap IMO - this chance to get out has been surprisingly offered to us - and the chance would not come again.

We could leave then???? Utter naïve bollocks - it's now or never

3. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

I don't think you understand the depth of anger of the citizens of this country that watched as various treaties were pushed through.
    We also looked on with disgust as the citizens of European countries had their votes completely ignored by the arrogant federalists of this so called trading club.
    We eventually grabbed an unexpected once only chance to quit, and took it.

4. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

So I'll ask again ...... tell me one single treaty enacted SINCE WE JOINED....... that were pushed through without the UK having a say .. that your'e not happy with

5. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

The Maastricht treaty is the obvious one (and I am on your side!)

But more generally, you raise a very valid point I think. People often express indignation, rage even, that we are subject to EU laws. And yet when asked specifically which laws they find particularly troublesome, they struggle to name more than one or two at most. And struggle even more if asked to name EU laws that actually impact in any seriously negative way on their daily lives. With that latter filter applied, genuinely, I can think of none at all.

And this completely overlooks anyway the fact that the UK had a vote on all of these laws and supported the overwhelming majority of them. And the fact that our minimal loss of sovereignty is compensated for by our minimally increased sovereignty in that the UK has influence over 27 other countries' laws.

It's all a row over nothing, stirred up to be far more important than it really is. And if we have a right wing Tory government at some time post Brexit, I wonder how long it will take those on the left to realise that being subject to EU employment law (for example) was not such a bad thing after all?

6. Ancient Citizen

Ancient Citizen

You are obviously not aware that the Lisbon treaty was signed after Brown reneged on a referendum promise by Blair, Just boarding a plane now, feel free to check it out

7. BJL_City

BJL_City

well you're really covering all forms of transport if you're now boating planes.

8. BlueHammer85

BlueHammer85

More control of immigration from EU states and we would have remained.

9. BJL_City

BJL_City

I agree.

10. kevin horlocks wand

kevin horlocks wand

I think people were pissed off about free movement of people. If that could have been sorted I think we would have remained.