New Broadband.

abu13

Team supported
Gods own
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a Broadband provider?

We have been with Talk Talk for about 6 years, we are paying £40 a month including line rental but i keep being told from the kids that the speed is crap, and we should be getting much better for what we are paying.

Ideally i'm looking for a faster connection but i believe there are options where you can get BT or Sky sports thrown in as well.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a Broadband provider?

We have been with Talk Talk for about 6 years, we are paying £40 a month including line rental but i keep being told from the kids that the speed is crap, and we should be getting much better for what we are paying.

Ideally i'm looking for a faster connection but i believe there are options where you can get BT or Sky sports thrown in as well.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Talk Talk, BT, Sky, EE etc all use the same wires (in the main*), so switching might not improve speeds. The very first thing to do is connect your pc/laptop to your router using an ethernet cable and go to speedtest.com to check your speed. Do this a few times over a few days to get a good typical speed. Also see what you get when just wireless. Compare the wired speed with what your provider says you should get when you put your postcode into their website. If there's a big difference, it could be a new router is needed.

Only Virgin and some smaller providers like Hyperoptic have their own faster networks.

*Some providers may use better cabling for some small portions of the path from house to exchange which can improve speeds a little.

Further to my post above, it might be you only get poor speeds for wireless. There are a few options to improve things such as moving your router to another location, changing wireless channels, using wireless repeaters, etc. Your provider can help with this. Generally moving to a new one will be cheaper. I've just gone to EE, as they were doing anytime landline calls for £4. So fastest unlimited fibre and calls for £34.

BT gets some stick at times, but for me they have been very good and will price match or throw extras in if you have a word with them.

If they are using it for gaming ping time and stability are much more important than speed.

As others have said if the kids are saying the speed is crap it might be down to the Wi-fi in your house. Sometimes changing the Wi-fi channels can help as every man and his dog uses Wi-fi and you can get co-channel interference. You can do this in the router settings page which is normally accessed by typing in 192.168.1.1 into the browser and logging in to the page.

If you want to see the channels that are being used by others nearby and have an android device download an app called Wi-fi Analyser from the App Store it shows you all of the channels in use. Try to pick a channel for your router where the signal levels are low.

Hope it helps.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.