New CL Format - Thoughts after 1 game

MCFC1993

I know we're only 1 game in, so maybe a bit early to judge and I'm sure there will be drama in the last 2 games which they'll use to try and justify the format, but, it's a bit shit isn't it?

There's just no jeopardy to it, we could finish 24th and it wouldn't really matter. Play 2 extra knockout games to justify taking the 8 group games easy wouldn't be the worst trade off. I know we'll probably finish top 8 as you only need about 16 points but even if we don't it doesn't really matter does it? You're not out and you have to be United levels of shite to not qualify.

No narratives, no stories, we drew 0-0 last night and I haven't got a clue what it means.

Being there last night it did just feel like playing a game for playing a games sake. Win, draw, loss, didn't really matter to the overall picture, in that sense was it really a competitive game?

The only impact the new format had was that we wouldn't have played another Pot One team in the old format. But everybody plays two, so it shouldn't matter in the long run.
But us having Inter, PSG and Juve, the latter 2 away, doesn’t feel hugely fair, esp when you look at the fixtures a team like Celtic have ended up with …

It’s designed to produce more glamours matches for the group stage, without putting any of the big teams in jeopardy if they lose. I like the idea of the top 8 skipping a round. Seeding the top 8 is done to prevent all the best teams from ending up in the same side of the draw, like has happened the last 2 years. It makes our potential route to the final easier so I’m all for it.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]]]" data-quote="chesterbells" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
But us having Inter, PSG and Juve, the latter [emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]] away, doesn’t feel hugely fair, esp when you look at the fixtures a team like Celtic have ended up with …

Yep you can finish and get a more favourable draw! If we were just now making top four you'd love it! Because if it was the old system Villa would have hard a very hard draw Celtic wouldn't have got out of the group again! It now favours the new comers and the average sides!o

I thought that the jeopardy last night was that it was better for both teams to not lose than to not win. Only time will tell if that is the case, we will need to see if Pot 1 teams continue to cancel one another out or if someone will be able to take advantage of playing a weaker Pot 1 team and top the table.

The big win for Bayern may also make a difference - will there be a pressure to thrash the weaker sides and match their goal difference?

On the other hand Celtic and Villa have had good wins from Pot 3 & 4 - that must give them a hope that the can progress. And Villa, may well be good enough to take points off some Leipzig (from Pot 1) and perhaps even Bayern.

It’s designed to produce more glamours matches for the group stage, without putting any of the big teams in jeopardy if they lose. I like the idea of the top 8 skipping a round. Seeding the top 8 is done to prevent all the best teams from ending up in the same side of the draw, like has happened the last 2 years. It makes our potential route to the final easier so I’m all for it.

So last night was our glamour tie. On paper the 1st v 3rd best team in Europe. Didn't feel like that to me, any result wouldn't really have mattered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.