New laptop battery not charging?

keemcfc

I got a new battery for my Fujitsu Seimens Amilo Li 1718, and it won't charge/power the laptop or anything... It's been plugged in to mains for about 2 days with the laptop in both off and on states and still nothing. It doesn't even register the fact that there's a battery plugged in...

One thing I have noticed though is that my old battery was made by Fujitsu Seimens whereas I'm not sure about the new one because there's no manufacturers name on it anywhere, so maybe the fact that it might be an aftermarket battery could be an issue? A shop owner ordered it in for me so I'm not sure if it's an original or not...

Oh and the laptop still runs as normal when it's plugged in, so the fault must be with either the laptop/battery.

Cheers for any help blues.

ifwecouldjust...... said:
Does it need charging? Most laptop batteries arrived fully charged and ready to go
It doesn't even recognise that there's a battery connected, ie, when I unplugged the charger after 2 days of trying to pump some life into the battery the laptop just immediately shut off.

The battery icon just looks exactly like it does when there's no battery connected...

Annoying as the battery was like £30 lol

1 check the voltage of the battery is the correct input voltage for your computer should say this underneath or check online
2 check the pin location of the battery to your comp ie it has the same amount of pins
3 If it still doesnt work u have faulty battery

yeseye said:
stu1 said:
1 check the voltage of the battery is the correct input voltage for your computer should say this underneath or check online
2 check the pin location of the battery to your comp ie it has the same amount of pins
Or a faulty charger or wall socket?
If it was a faulty charger/socket it wouldnt power the computer

stu1 said:
yeseye said:
stu1 said:
Or a faulty charger or wall socket?
If it was a faulty charger/socket it wouldnt power the computer
Sorry I thought that was the problem? Too much wine with my roast maybe.

I bought a new toshiba laptop from Argos .... got it home , plugged the charger in , and it wouldn't charge ... we kept on trying , but still nothing ..... so we tried again the following day , but still nowt

frustrated , we took it back to Argos .... they plugged in the charger , and the fuckin' thing started charging !

So i took it home again , plugged in the charger and this time it started charging .....

sods law !

Sounds like a dodgy battery mate.

I would just take it back with the laptop and charger and show them. They should just replace it or give you a refund.

If it is working off the mains then its not your charger.

Here's the short answer:

The battery won't charge, and didn't charge when you bought it. It's defective and not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act (can't remember the year). It is your right to get a replacement or full refund including any carriage charges.

Here's the long answer:

Your battery has been stored too long (before you bought it) and allowed to discharge too much.

If a lithium-ion battery is discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, a safety circuit built into the battery opens and the battery appears to be dead. The original charger will be of no use. Only battery analyzers with the boost function have a chance of recharging the battery.

When you get the battery you usually have to follow instructions that come with it to charge and discharge it (running laptop on battery). This sets when the battery has reached max charge and when it's exhausted BUT this level when it's exhausted is still above 2.5 volts per cell. So you can still charge it, it's not actually got no charge in it. The problem is your battery is below this level. Take it back to the shop as in the long answer. Knowledge is power.

Exactly the same thing happened to me and I got stung for the cost of sending the battery back. It was a few quid but it's the principle of the thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.