New Laws

The Light Was Yellow Sir

FIFA have ratified some new laws for next season.
1. Any handball leading to a goal will mean that the goal will be disallowed.
2. Attacking team players will not be allowed within 1 metre of any defensive wall, presumably to reduce pushing and shoving as well as removing the professional 'taking down of the wall' which some players are very adept at.
3. Goal kicks no longer need to leave the penalty area, so should stop one avenue for time wasting.
4. Penalty change is that the goalkeeper only needs one foot on the line when the penalty is taken.

I think they actually look reasonably sensible although I am not sure how far back one might go to judge an accidental handball?

NB: Edited in light of FIFA probably dropping the penalty save/rebound proposals.

Last edited:
I thought they were changing the HanDball definition to include any case of contact, accidental or not.

The handball rule is always going to be a tough one as it's down to individual interpretation of an incident. If all handballs become free kicks, whether intentional or not, there could be 3/4 penalties a game
What's to stop an attackee, play for one by kicking against a defenders arm in the box?

So if a penalty hits the woodwork and bounces out, play stops and a goal-kick to the defending team?

FIFA have ratified some new laws for next season.
1. Any handball leading to a goal will mean that the goal will be disallowed.
2. Attacking team players will not be allowed within 1 metre of any defensive wall, presumably to reduce pushing and shoving as well as removing the professional 'taking down of the wall' which some players are very adept at.
3. Goal kicks no longer need to leave the penalty area, so should stop one avenue for time wasting.
4. There is also at least one change to penalty kicks and potentially 2.
4a.The definite change is that the goalkeeper only needs one foot on the line when the penalty is taken.
4b.The other one, and I have only seen it in MARCA so far, is that there will be no rebounds from penalties. In essence, the penalty becomes the same as a penalty shoot out. Any miss is just that and presumably, the game restarts with a free kick to the defending team. This would have one huge advantage in that encroachment would become a thing of the past, as there would be absolutely nothing to gain.

I think they actually look reasonably sensible although I am not sure how far back one might go to judge an accidental handball?

1 How is that any different from now?
2 Form a 2 man wall on near the goal line this will stop players obstructing the keeper
3 So will players be allowed in the box when the kick is taken?
4a Seem unnecessary to change
4b This is a nonsense as already pointed out re hitting the post. Encroachment is not hard to prevent just have the 4th official monitor it

I thought they were changing the HanDball definition to include any case of contact, accidental or not.
Only if it would prevent a clear goal or result in one, I believe. So Otamendi's the other day would be handball even though it was obviously accidental (I know it was given, but it shouldn't have been) and Aguero's goal the other week would be ruled out (although I'm not convinced it actually hit his arm anyway).

In theory it's a sensible change, but the issue how do they determine if it's denying a clear goal? Imagine an on-target shot hits a player's arm in the box, but the keeper had it covered anyway. Would that count? It seems like they're adding another one like the "Is he really the last man?" red cards.

The laws of the game were originally designed for fair minded sportsmen to play a fair game - the trouble is that under close examination (i.e VAR) the laws fall to bits.

so if a penalty is taken hits the post and rebounds away from goal it is a free kick to the defending team.
If a penalty is taken hits the post then hits the keeper and goes in does it stand as a goal?

so if a penalty is taken hits the post and rebounds away from goal it is a free kick to the defending team.
If a penalty is taken hits the post then hits the keeper and goes in does it stand as a goal?
from what they were saying then its just like a shoot out situation, so yes the goal would stand

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.