New Mac Pro

It's really not.

I had a Macbook, and at end of life I simply couldn't justify paying the same again when the time came for what was basically a streaming/bluemooning/photo storing machine.

I saved over £500 by getting a pretty decent lenovo windows laptop. I work in IT so I also know that windows 10 is actually pretty much a dream. It's a far cry from the clunkier windows 95 etc.

Unless you're a pro photographer, video maker etc, there's simply no reason for a normal person to have an apple computer, other than vanity.
I am very surprised on the rare occasion I read a post like this - it makes me wonder whether the person saying it is perhaps attempting to justify their own purchase to themselves.

That said, we all have opinions and that's great.

I use a Windows 10 machine at work and my old Macbook Pro at home. The difference is staggering: whenever I log in at work, it's like going back in time, even though it's a much newer machine. Conversely, everything on the MacBook just works perfectly first time.

I don't think it's about vanity (maybe it is for some people?); for me, it's about the difference between actually enjoying a smooth and effortless experience on one machine, and getting so angry with the other that I want to throw it out of the window.

for me, it's about the difference between actually enjoying a smooth and effortless experience on one machine, and getting so angry with the other that I want to throw it out of the window.

Like I say, I work in IT so am very well versed in windows, server iterations etc etc. And I can categorically say that I have never once felt the urge to "throw it out of the window".

It used to be that MacOS 'just worked', and windows required work. Not so anymore.

As someone who's just spend a grand on a another new Windows laptop, I'll be honest, I'm absolutely sick of every laptop I buy having something wrong with it. The latest in a long line of stupid problems with new Windows PCs is the touchpad periodically going mental. They literally always have something wrong with them, but something minor enough that everyone just puts up with it. On my last laptop, it asked me to update from Windows 8 to 10 and the touchpad stopped working altogether. Similarly every Android phone I've had will connect to the laptop for a while and then one day just stop doing so and never do it again. The only reason I don't buy a Mac is I can't afford the same specs on an Apple, so I just put up with the inconvenience. And I still don't quite believe it's as rosy as they all say. My ex had a Macbook and she had problems with it too.

Like I say, I work in IT so am very well versed in windows, server iterations etc etc. And I can categorically say that I have never once felt the urge to "throw it out of the window".

It used to be that MacOS 'just worked', and windows required work. Not so anymore.

You can also add that if you put Linux on a machine (Some macs will take a Linux distro too) then it will speed up the PC performance exponentially in many cases.

I get why people like Apples it's up to them, but pound for pound spent IMO they are nowhere near a similarly priced PC based system. The brand is aspirational but that's as far as it goes.

Currently on 7 years for my MacBook Pro. There's simply no way I'm ever going back to Windows after the pleasure of using Mac. The idea would be simply laughable. It would be like living in a luxury mansion and then moving out to a damp bedsit.

I'm looking to replace it with a newer model soon. There's just one problem: paying for it.

Any tips on getting the best price on a MacBook Pro?
If you know anyone that’s a student you can get 10% off.
It's really not.

I had a Macbook, and at end of life I simply couldn't justify paying the same again when the time came for what was basically a streaming/bluemooning/photo storing machine.

I saved over £500 by getting a pretty decent lenovo windows laptop. I work in IT so I also know that windows 10 is actually pretty much a dream. It's a far cry from the clunkier windows 95 etc.

Unless you're a pro photographer, video maker etc, there's simply no reason for a normal person to have an apple computer, other than vanity.
Not really true, all the high end ultra books these days are priced similar to each other.

It pretty much comes down to which operating system you prefer.

Last edited:
For the average user Mac OSX just works, Windows just works.

Minus points for Windows for the faff of having to use anti virus etc and minus points for Mac for the lack of gaming options.

Windows is cheaper and far more flexible in terms of the devices you can install it on, so I prefer Windows.

It's really not.

Nice though they are, I really couldn't justify spanking out for a MacBook Pro or Mac Desktop when what I have does what I need it it do for a fraction of the price.

I know a few full blown Apple Tarts who've bought in to the whole 'ecosystem' (iPhone, Watch, Apple TV, MacBook Pro). They are always first in the queue when the latest model comes out. They always come out with that 'it works straight out of the box' crap, which is true in essence but then so does Windows. What they don't tend to grasp is how locked down Apple is compared to it's Microsoft counterpart.

I use a Windows 10 laptop (i7, 20GB RAM (4GB DDR4 16GB Optane)) to process my photographs (Lightroom/Photoshop). My main catalogue is just shy of 14000 images with 197GB of RAW & JPEG files stored on the machine. It gets a bit clunky during heavy editing, but most of the time it does just fine.

Nice though they are, I really couldn't justify spanking out for a MacBook Pro or Mac Desktop when what I have does what I need it it do for a fraction of the price.

I know a few full blown Apple Tarts who've bought in to the whole 'ecosystem' (iPhone, Watch, Apple TV, MacBook Pro). They are always first in the queue when the latest model comes out. They always come out with that 'it works straight out of the box' crap, which is true in essence but then so does Windows. What they don't tend to grasp is how locked down Apple is compared to it's Microsoft counterpart.

I use a Windows 10 laptop (i7, 20GB RAM (4GB DDR4 16GB Optane)) to process my photographs (Lightroom/Photoshop). My main catalogue is just shy of 14000 images with 197GB of RAW & JPEG files stored on the machine. It gets a bit clunky during heavy editing, but most of the time it does just fine.

Never heard of Optane memory until your post. Kind of a middle man between RAM and storage.. I thought funky things like this weren't made anymore.

Do you have large mechanical hard drives in your build then and use the Optane to speed them up?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.