New Mac Pro

Never heard of Optane memory until your post. Kind of a middle man between RAM and storage.. I thought funky things like this weren't made anymore.

Do you have large mechanical hard drives in your build then and use the Optane to speed them up?
I have a single 1TB 3.5"HDD in my laptop, and several smaller USB 3 drives for backing up my data. As far as I understand Optane it's a software optimised hardware driven cache which utilises HDD space to boost system performance.

It's certainly cheaper than RAM and it seems to work well for my needs.

Unless you're a pro photographer, video maker etc, there's simply no reason for a normal person to have an apple computer, other than vanity.
I can't agree with that, and tbh it's pretty insulting.

My wife loves Apple products, she has iMac and iPad Pro. Plus an iPhone 8

She's just not vain at all.

Personally I have an Android phone. Windows laptop.
What I do know is that I update things at least twice as much as she does.
Her iMac is nearly 9 years old, she will keep the other things for a similar time.

What she loves is the way her Apples work seamlessly with each other in a very easy way.

Never had any issues or problems.
I'm thinking of moving to Apple myself in the future, Ive had a shitload of problems with my various laptops.
And we don't all work in IT so we don't all have that knowledge to sort shit out.

I can't agree with that, and tbh it's pretty insulting.

My wife loves Apple products, she has iMac and iPad Pro. Plus an iPhone 8

She's just not vain at all.

Personally I have an Android phone. Windows laptop.
What I do know is that I update things at least twice as much as she does.
Her iMac is nearly 9 years old, she will keep the other things for a similar time.

What she loves is the way her Apples work seamlessly with each other in a very easy way.

Never had any issues or problems.
I'm thinking of moving to Apple myself in the future, Ive had a shitload of problems with my various laptops.
And we don't all work in IT so we don't all have that knowledge to sort shit out.
Tbf I feel my post on the last page was more insulting to your wife and other apple users. I'm dissapointed that you have not taken offence.

Posters are getting confused about their comparisons IMO. Apple is an "Ecosystem" PC's are not if you throw in the other operating systems you can use instead of Windows.

One of my children swears by Apple and uses only Apple whilst my other children wont go near one, I recently purchased 3 Apple power G3's to renovate and put on the market because they are so stylish, however a similar top of the range PC from the same era is both easier to upgrade and runs a hell of a lot faster.

I've never been an Apple Tart as Trevor so quaintly describes them but until recently I did use a Macbook Pro for work and had an iMac for home use. I've had iphones and ipads in the past, but over more recent years been using Android devices, and also have never owned nor wanted to own an Apple watch. So not the fully monty by any means.

But... I switched from iMac to a new PC a few weeks ago, and my God what a pile of unmitigated shite Windows is. Honestly after 7 years on Macs instead of Windows, I am shocked at just how fucking terrible it is. It is quite a revelation.

Bugs all over the place, things that just mysteriously stop working, malware threats left right and centre. It's total pants.

They say of Macs that "they just work", and whilst using a Mac I never felt that was accurate because they do have the odd issue. But compared to Windows, a Mac is a total dream. Windows is a nightmare.

I've never been an Apple Tart as Trevor so quaintly describes them but until recently I did use a Macbook Pro for work and had an iMac for home use. I've had iphones and ipads in the past, but over more recent years been using Android devices, and also have never owned nor wanted to own an Apple watch. So not the fully monty by any means.

But... I switched from iMac to a new PC a few weeks ago, and my God what a pile of unmitigated shite Windows is. Honestly after 7 years on Macs instead of Windows, I am shocked at just how fucking terrible it is. It is quite a revelation.

Bugs all over the place, things that just mysteriously stop working, malware threats left right and centre. It's total pants.

They say of Macs that "they just work", and whilst using a Mac I never felt that was accurate because they do have the odd issue. But compared to Windows, a Mac is a total dream. Windows is a nightmare.
I think if you've come from a Mac you'll find Windows is just different, and a pain in the arse to get used to. Windows isn't as locked down as a Mac which has advantages and disadvantages. However, once you get things set up properly (AV/VPN/Network setting/browser and files system) then you'll find Windows to be relatively pain free.

I think if you've come from a Mac you'll find Windows is just different, and a pain in the arse to get used to. Windows isn't as locked down as a Mac which has advantages and disadvantages. However, once you get things set up properly (AV/VPN/Network setting/browser and files system) then you'll find Windows to be relatively pain free.

Frankly I think its utter garbage. But unfortunately if you want to take advantage of cheap and powerful latest hardware and also the widest library of supported software, then it is the only option.

But bug-riddled bloatware doesn't begin to describe it. What on earth they are doing in 2020 with the utter monstrosity which is the ****ing registry, a piece of garbage which has been around since Window 3.1, god only knows.

If all the same software ran on Linux, I would bin it this evening.

Last edited:
Frankly I think its utter garbage. But unfortunately if you want to take advantage of cheap and powerful latest hardware and also the widest library of supported software, then it is the only option.

If all the same software ran on Linux, I would bin it this evening.

Linux is getting there in leaps and bounds, I struggle with Windows in most cases preferring Linux but the gaming fraternity need Windows to function ;)

In the area of desktop and laptop computers, Microsoft Windows is generally above 70% in most markets and at 77% to 87.8% globally, Apple's macOS is at around 9.6% to 13%, Google's Chrome OS is up to 6% (in the US) and other Linux distributions are at around 2%.

Just to put it out there, the thing that bothers me so much about Apple is the cost and that the unit (Whichever you buy) has a shorter lifespan where the machine will work competently, obviously designed that way so users would pop in and buy another Mac product when they are nearing obsolescence.

They are notorious for slowing their products down with updates.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.