New Mac Pro

Frankly I think its utter garbage. But unfortunately if you want to take advantage of cheap and powerful latest hardware and also the widest library of supported software, then it is the only option.

But bug-riddled bloatware doesn't begin to describe it. What on earth they are doing in 2020 with the utter monstrosity which is the ****ing registry, a piece of garbage which has been around since Window 3.1, god only knows.

If all the same software ran on Linux, I would bin it this evening.
Like I said, if you set it up properly it's relatively pain free. Certainly pain free enough not to have to justify buying a comparable Mac at twice the price.

Yes, the Windows registry can be pretty monstrous, but it's relatively easily dealt with using free software such as CCleaner or similar.

With you on Linux though ;-)

Linux is getting there in leaps and bounds, I struggle with Windows in most cases preferring Linux but the gaming fraternity need Windows to function ;)

Just to put it out there, the thing that bothers me so much about Apple is the cost and that the unit (Whichever you buy) has a shorter lifespan where the machine will work competently, obviously designed that way so users would pop in and buy another Mac product when they are nearing obsolescence.

They are notorious for slowing their products down with updates.
I think that's the case for phones and stuff, but I've never heard of them doing that for laptops. Their laptops are notorious for being long lasting. With the laptops, the main issue is the insistence on making them thin and light, which necessarily affects their performance (although the same is true of any manufacturer). It doesn't matter what you put in them, you can't cheat physics. That's why this idea that serious creative people use Macbooks is bollocks. Serious creative people don't use a laptop for their power-hungry work in the first place. I have a laptop for photo and video editing because it's a hobby. If it was my job, I'd be straight out to get a desktop.

I think that's the case for phones and stuff, but I've never heard of them doing that for laptops. Their laptops are notorious for being long lasting. With the laptops, the main issue is the insistence on making them thin and light, which necessarily affects their performance (although the same is true of any manufacturer). It doesn't matter what you put in them, you can't cheat physics. That's why this idea that serious creative people use Macbooks is bollocks. Serious creative people don't use a laptop for their power-hungry work in the first place. I have a laptop for photo and video editing because it's a hobby. If it was my job, I'd be straight out to get a desktop.
100% this.

My laptop is a raging furnace when I'm doing heavy lifting in Photoshop. A full sized tower with multiple SATA's, and OS on SSD, with dedicated graphics, fully loaded RAM and an efficient cooling system would be a much better option, and if I was professional it's what I would be using. I'd also be running dual 24" monitors. I'd get much more bang for my buck with a PC as opposed to a Mac.

I'd only really use a laptop on location and for uploading to a cloud based editor (Lightroom CC) for backups and posting to social media.

Frankly I think its utter garbage. But unfortunately if you want to take advantage of cheap and powerful latest hardware and also the widest library of supported software, then it is the only option.

But bug-riddled bloatware doesn't begin to describe it. What on earth they are doing in 2020 with the utter monstrosity which is the ****ing registry, a piece of garbage which has been around since Window 3.1, god only knows.

If all the same software ran on Linux, I would bin it this evening.

What do you do, if you don't mind me asking? I'd wager 99% of users never have to bother with the registry, I reckon 50+% don't even know what it is or where to find it.

What do you do, if you don't mind me asking? I'd wager 99% of users never have to bother with the registry, I reckon 50+% don't even know what it is or where to find it.
I use it mainly for software updates. Certain Adobe programs can be a bit temperamental when it comes to updating so I occasionally have to dip into the registry. You can also use it to force Windows updates. Just type 'regedit' into the Windows search bar and you're in. Enter with caution though as you can do some serious damage if you don't know what you are doing.

I also use config manager to turn on/off services at start up, and computer management for log files and resource management.

Like you say though, 99% of users never need go anywhere near it.

When you buy an apple laptop do you receive a voucher that entitles you to buy one cheap drink and sit all day in Starbucks? It appears to me that every time o try to get a seat or a table they are all taken by Apple laptop users. They have a quarter empty cold drink and the screen vertical so everyone can see the logo. Wankers!!

I have both a windows laptop and a MacBook. I prefer the OS to windows and like the integration with my iphone.

it is overpriced though and you could build a far more capable PC for the money but it’s just down to choice I suppose.

Currently on 7 years for my MacBook Pro. There's simply no way I'm ever going back to Windows after the pleasure of using Mac. The idea would be simply laughable. It would be like living in a luxury mansion and then moving out to a damp bedsit.

I'm looking to replace it with a newer model soon. There's just one problem: paying for it.

Any tips on getting the best price on a MacBook Pro?
Do you know anyone in education? If they have a qualifying email adress from a college or uni look at the Edu store.

I’ve also bought from Tech in the Basket who seem to discount some lines.

I’ve recently upgraded my iMac from 21.5 inch to the 28 inch. I’m not loving it as I’ve gone from whisper quiet operation to annoying fan and hard drive noise. Nothing major but annoys me. Pretty standard from what I’ve seen which is disappointing.

Currently on 7 years for my MacBook Pro. There's simply no way I'm ever going back to Windows after the pleasure of using Mac. The idea would be simply laughable. It would be like living in a luxury mansion and then moving out to a damp bedsit.

I'm looking to replace it with a newer model soon. There's just one problem: paying for it.

Any tips on getting the best price on a MacBook Pro?

Find a student mate to buy it for you ... 10% discount.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.