New Mac

another generation

Apple experts only, please!
It's time to retire my old iBook (nearly 7 years old) and invest in an iMac.

My old machine seems to have the following (don't laugh):
1.07 GHz processor
768MB memory
32MB RAM

My new choice seems to be as such:
2.5 or 2.7 GHz processor
4 GB memory
500 GB or 1TB hard drive
6750M or 6770M graphics processor with 512MB memory

Any new machine is going to seem amazingly fast compared to my old one, but what difference will a little tweak here or there mean? Which tweaks will make a noticeable difference? The main irritation for me is when a computer starts running slow and can't multi-task any more.

This iBook is now on its last legs, purely because I can't upgrade the software any more (lack of space and processing speed, I assume). I now want to buy something that can last for a long time if I look after it and keep it regularly updated.

Uses? My software is so outdated, that I've completely lost touch with what's available. I'm going to be a complete novice in the world of the App, so goodness knows how many of those I'll want to mess about with. Decent quality video clips and live football would be a must. Music notation and iTunes will be used regularly. Maybe a better machine will also persuade me to pick up my camera again?

All advice gratefully received. Keep it simple!

Regarding photos, iPhoto does it all, albums, syncs etc. But again it's a piece of software that ties you in, in the Apple way, you can only import photos into imovie if theyre already in iphoto, that kind of little niggle.

The better the processor you have, the more the burden (multi tasking) your computer will be able to take. However 2.5ghz should be enough if all you will be using it is for photo editing, music and streaming. 500gb is ample memory for a computer, you may however intend on keeping it for a long time and save all your photos and music on it, in which case i would go for the terabyte if you can afford it.

Thanks. I've used iPhoto in the past. Only stopped because I didn't have the spare capacity to transfer any more photos from my camera! Suppose I could also store photos on an external hard drive, if the terabyte option isn't affordable. Then again, I should get an education discount, so the money I save could be used towards extra goodies!

MikeF said:
I'm not sure I'd get another Apple as mine has gone tits up recently and I've been quoted £400 for the repair!!
Maybe I'll use that saved education discount to buy an extended warranty! How old is your Mac?

Re: Re: New Mac

another generation said:
MikeF said:
I'm not sure I'd get another Apple as mine has gone tits up recently and I've been quoted £400 for the repair!!
Maybe I'll use that saved education discount to buy an extended warranty! How old is your Mac?
I've got an iPad, Macbook Pro and iMac, all perfectly working. Had them about two years.

Seriously, Mac users, exploit your fellow Apple users. Basically computers on average last five years and so in five years you should consider them worthless. That's 20% depreciation a year maths fans. So, if you can sell a Mac on after a year for 80% of what you bought it for (and you usually can), you're not only getting better technology year-on-year you're also getting a free permanent warranty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.