New music and band thread

New Irish band called NewDad, got some nice tunes. Not sure when their debut album is out

As much as I hate to sound like an old man, I'm finding it impossible to find new music that does it for me. I appreciate the music being shared in here but, in all honesty, I find most of it to be just 'OK.'

Is it that the music is as good as ever but my perception has changed? Or is it that music has run its course and there's nowhere for it to go?

I listen to 6music and feel uninspired. To me, the best new music is coming from old artists who've been doing it for decades (Radiohead, James...).

I feel pretty desperate for something new that will really inspire me but most artists just sound like they're trying to be their heroes.

The last track that really grabbed me was Girlfriend by Christine and the Queens and that was a while ago now.

There must be something out there?

For those like me that find very little in new music of interest, check out The Vaults, curated by Guy Garvey of Elbow. Its old forgotten film from ITV archives. Each episode covers a different year. The first one has some brilliant coverage of Kate Bush on stage at Manchester Apollo. Never been seen before. + The Police first TV appearance. Have watched two episodes now and they are very good. Like a time machine taking you back to a time of very dodgy hair cuts but descent music.

As much as I hate to sound like an old man, I'm finding it impossible to find new music that does it for me. I appreciate the music being shared in here but, in all honesty, I find most of it to be just 'OK.'

Is it that the music is as good as ever but my perception has changed? Or is it that music has run its course and there's nowhere for it to go?

I listen to 6music and feel uninspired. To me, the best new music is coming from old artists who've been doing it for decades (Radiohead, James...).

I feel pretty desperate for something new that will really inspire me but most artists just sound like they're trying to be their heroes.

The last track that really grabbed me was Girlfriend by Christine and the Queens and that was a while ago now.

There must be something out there?
For me, it’s because almost all good music is anything from alternative to underground and you either don’t hear of it too much or you have to search for it. Psychologically, it’s not being pushed on us by the record companies and radio stations repetitively day after day, every few hours, so we don’t get that familiarity which breeds a craving on something called the Wundt Curve.

When we’re only listening to things as individuals on the off chance, we aren’t listening to them as groups or as a mass audience so there’s no confirmation bias or bandwagon to jump on. A lot of people will only like something when they know it’s socially widely liked, and they don’t do this on purpose, it seems to be a human trait.

Because hardly anywhere plays alternative music (it barely makes the charts anymore) there’s little mass listening and mass acceptance.

Also, because a lot of good music is underground, bands/artists aren’t having to force songs out there that their record company will expect them to create because they expect songs sell a lot of copies and therefore make them a lot of money. These kinds of songs usually have a structure that usually capture your attention, they have familiar chord progressions or lyrics to millions of songs that have gone before because the familiarity is what will get people to buy it... instead bands/artists are much more subtle with their music, songs don’t have to follow that ‘grab-your-attention-format’, and artists can follow their own artistic desires.

For me, it’s because almost all good music is anything from alternative to underground and you either don’t hear of it too much or you have to search for it. Psychologically, it’s not being pushed on us by the record companies and radio stations repetitively day after day, every few hours, so we don’t get that familiarity which breeds a craving on something called the Wundt Curve.

When we’re only listening to things as individuals on the off chance, we aren’t listening to them as groups or as a mass audience so there’s no confirmation bias or bandwagon to jump on. A lot of people will only like something when they know it’s socially widely liked, and they don’t do this on purpose, it seems to be a human trait.

Because hardly anywhere plays alternative music (it barely makes the charts anymore) there’s little mass listening and mass acceptance.

Also, because a lot of good music is underground, bands/artists aren’t having to force songs out there that their record company will expect them to create because they expect songs sell a lot of copies and therefore make them a lot of money. These kinds of songs usually have a structure that usually capture your attention, they have familiar chord progressions or lyrics to millions of songs that have gone before because the familiarity is what will get people to buy it... instead bands/artists are much more subtle with their music, songs don’t have to follow that ‘grab-your-attention-format’, and artists can follow their own artistic desires.
Interesting points - thanks.

I actively seek out new music. I listen to something new nearly every day and I would expect, with the quantity that I listen to, to find a fair amount of good, inspiring music. But this just doesn't happen.

Where are the real artists? Where is the new, great music that grabs me?

I think it's relatively easy to find music that challenges, which is great. But finding simply good, creative, modern music for listening to for pleasure is seemingly an impossible task.

I'm actually finding it to be very depressing and, if I wasn't so stubborn, I would've given up by now.

I’ve been listening to a podcast called ‘In your ears music ‘ basically promoting new bands. Since the 1st lockdown I’ve unearthed some great tunes and bands. A few bands to mention are ‘Vela Incident’ ‘The shed project ‘ The VCR, ‘The Novacs’ and Apollo Junction.

LPpdDJz.jpg

Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over the Country Club (2021)

v63gjVo.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.