New phone upgrade

Sort of. But let’s you fuck about with the foreground/background.
As far as I'm aware this will be done in software, and not down to the physical properties of the lens. Depth of field (how much of the image is in focus) is controlled by the focal length of the lens, the aperture and to an extent the sensor size (crop factor).

I think it's a gimmick, as most phone users don't really care about or understand how to use DoF in an image. Phone camera's are great, and are capable of stunning images in the right conditions, but I won't be binning my camera any time soon

As far as I'm aware this will be done in software, and not down to the physical properties of the lens. Depth of field (how much of the image is in focus) is controlled by the focal length of the lens, the aperture and to an extent the sensor size (crop factor).

I think it's a gimmick, as most phone users don't really care about or understand how to use DoF in an image. Phone camera's are great, and are capable of stunning images in the right conditions, but I won't be binning my camera any time soon
You’re most probably correct however I don’t have a camera. I do have a two year old phone though and lots of spare money.

It's certainly not a gimmick, I've just bought a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite which has a dual lens on the back that does similar. The lesser of the two lenses is used for depth perception and then the software takes over. It's remarkably effective for such tiny mechanisms.

It's certainly not a gimmick, I've just bought a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite which has a dual lens on the back that does similar. The lesser of the two lenses is used for depth perception and then the software takes over. It's remarkably effective for such tiny mechanisms.
So, effectively combining a focused and unfocused image in software to give the appearance of selective DoF?

So, effectively combining a focused and unfocused image in software to give the appearance of selective DoF?
Yes, given the very short focal length of the main lens it's the only way to do it that I'm aware of. Have a look online for reviews of any dual lens smart phone and check out the camera tests.

Yes, given the very short focal length of the main lens it's the only way to do it that I'm aware of. Have a look online for reviews of any dual lens smart phone and check out the camera tests.
Some of the pictures are stunning.

Still, the limiting factor with mobile phone cameras is the sensor size.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.