New phone upgrade

Foul play between Samsung and US Govt to sideline them then?
Maybe Google and the US together, Huawei were making some big moves with backing from the Chinese Govt. They long had plans to create their own eco system, using Android as a base but having their own app store. Not sure how that would have done out of the Asian markets, but the revenue loss on them has been huge. Trump himself has said that if China & the US can come to a trade deal then he'll allow Huawei (even though he said in the same interview that Huawei were dangerous to everything in the US!). Huawei have guaranteed there will be patches and updates from their end as Android is opensource, but IMO the lack of Play Store to the common consumer is huge. For people like myself its no issue as you can download Playstore independently, Xiaomi and the other Chinese brands, when bought direct from China, often come without Play Store as it's not used in China anyway.

I'll probably keep my next phone for five years and don't mind paying more now in consequence, so price isn't a limiting factor.

My thoughts are to get the best new iPhone 11 when it arrives in September, plus the Apple stylus, or switch to Android. If I go for Android, it would probably be the Samsung Note 10, due out in August. But I've also looked at the OnePlus 7.

Would you be replacing the battery as I doubt it will last 5 years?

I’m thinking of giving my current phone to a relative who cannot afford one but I want to replace the battery - has anyone does this with official apple battery? I did replace my previous phones battery and gave to my Mum but it is having some intermittent probs which according to my local phone engineer is due to it being a non official battery.

I've always used iPhones, and currently looking to upgrade from the 6+. Key features for me are:

- storage for audiobooks and to some extent music, though streaming of Spotify makes this less important
- speed
- a stylus for note taking
- large screen size

Less important:

- camera. Not fussed about these to be honest
- gaming I don't really do

I'll probably keep my next phone for five years and don't mind paying more now in consequence, so price isn't a limiting factor.

My thoughts are to get the best new iPhone 11 when it arrives in September, plus the Apple stylus, or switch to Android. If I go for Android, it would probably be the Samsung Note 10, due out in August. But I've also looked at the OnePlus 7.

Any recommendations please Bluemooners? Would I be able to install my lifetime subscribed Tapatalk on an Android phone, or would I have to purchase this (and other apps) again?

Samsung Note 10 when it comes - all of the above covered. I have the Note 9 and it's one of the best phones I've had.

Would you be replacing the battery as I doubt it will last 5 years?

I’m thinking of giving my current phone to a relative who cannot afford one but I want to replace the battery - has anyone does this with official apple battery? I did replace my previous phones battery and gave to my Mum but it is having some intermittent probs which according to my local phone engineer is due to it being a non official battery.
I replaced the battery on my iPhone about six months ago, under the battery replacement scheme with Apple. It wasn't too expensive. I'll pass this phone on to a family member who couldn't otherwise afford this model. It is still a very good phone, if a little slow.

Samsung Note 10 when it comes - all of the above covered. I have the Note 9 and it's one of the best phones I've had.

Just acquired a second hand note 9 plus and I have to say it's an inceredible piece of kit and the best phone I have ever owned. Still messing around with all it's functions but it can even do facial recognition on start up and the speakers for the music are well in advance of it's time frame. The camera and video are more than acceptable. Currently on a 2 gig data sim only plan for £6 a month.

My son has the Note 9, and I was trying it out with the stylus over the weekend. His wife has the Google Pixel 3 XL, which is excellent too. But as you suggest, I think I'll switch to the Note 10 when it is released in August. It should keep me going for a few years.

What do you have at the moment?

I ask this because the notion of an "upgrade" is utter bollox and has been since around the advent of the iphone 6/ Galaxy S6.
Phones since those are perfectly capable and functional and any newer phone won't be doing much, if anything better. You are simply paying for a (unnecessary) new phone.

If your phone is anything newer (providing it isn't a bargain basement phone) then i suggest you just keep it come of contract and go PAYG. the rates for calls and data are much better.
I am now PAYG and pay 20 quid a month for unlimited data and i regularly only spend about 5 of those quids that i have topped up with leaving me with around 15 carried forward.
When my phone does eventually die, i will have a tidy sum carried forward for a deposit on a new one.

If you do have a shit phone and just need a new one, meh, pick your poison, or in the case of the iphone, bend over and take it.....

Agreed. Any of the good ones from the last few years, the upgrades are not enough to justify the money. PAYG can be very cheap.

I’ve got an old iPhone SE (EE - as good as new), on a £15pm contract and it more than does the job and gives me 5GB data, unlimited calls & texts.

Work phone is an all singing all dancing Samsung piece of shit which is bigger than my fucking telly, it weighs that much my pants feel like they’re going to be round my ankles walking anywhere more than ten foot and that ain’t a pretty sight believe me.

The issue with samsung is that they stop official updates, usually after about 2 years. So you have no longevity. You will have the best phone on the planet during that time frame if you go for their flagship. If you want android I'd go as close to stock as possible where updates are kept longer. So the latest and greatest from google or one plus. Mid range, Motorola.

Apple on the other hand, support their phones and they are super smooth generally speaking. They are dear, but when you buy from them you know you are getting 5 years out of it with no performance drop.

I am proper tech head so I have both platforms. My daily drive is the galaxy s10 plus, but I also have an iphone 7 plus purely for the ecosystem and that phone still works like a dream despite being 4 years old. It's getting ios13 as well before they pull support so I know I'll get another year now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.