New phone upgrade

Hi all,

Think this would be the most appropriate thread to post in...

I currently have a Samsung S9 and my 2 year contract is up with O2. O2 have offered me the S20 5G for a good monthly rate, similar to what I'm paying for now but on a 3 year contract. The 3 year contract is a bit off putting for me whilst affordable.

I use my phone a lot for watching sports, Netflix and twitter. An improved camera would be nice but not essential as we can't bloody go anywhere.

Part of me is thinking I go for a sim only deal and save myself a few pennies whilst still having the S9 which is a good phone and upgrade when prices are lower.

Does anybody have this phone and is it worth the upgrade? Is it likely Samsung will drop their prices any time soon?

Go sim only until its knackered.

At my last upgrade date, I bought a Honor 10 Lite for £149 and moved onto a £16p/m SIM only deal. Unlimited calls and texts, and 10GB of Data.

Hi all,

I currently have a Samsung S9 and my 2 year contract is up with O2. O2 have offered me the S20 5G for a good monthly rate, similar to what I'm paying for now but on a 3 year contract. The 3 year contract is a bit off putting for me whilst affordable.

I use my phone a lot for watching sports, Netflix and twitter. An improved camera would be nice but not essential as we can't bloody go anywhere.

Part of me is thinking I go for a sim only deal and save myself a few pennies whilst still having the S9 which is a good phone and upgrade when prices are lower.

Does anybody have this phone and is it worth the upgrade? Is it likely Samsung will drop their prices any time soon?
www.affordablemobiles.co.uk

I use that website when renewing, but just pay attention if its a "cashback" offer as thats just a little bit of extra hassle. If you decide which phone you want you can see what offers they have, and to my knowledge they only offer 24 month contracts. Given the designers build in obsolescence after 2 years I wouldn't be signing up to a 36 month contract.

I would say though that there seems to be a significant increase on the cost of a top end phone since I last renewed. You used to be able to get one for £40ish, and now you're looking at £60ish. I don't think the technological advances justify it personally. I think I'm going to go with last years "new" phone.

I just bought an oppo Reno outright for $380. About 190 quid.
Brilliant phone and camera. 6.4" screen. Fantastic display.
I use it more than my laptop.
I get 10 GB a month for $20, ten quid.
I think these Samsung and iPhones are a right rip off.

I use that website when renewing, but just pay attention if its a "cashback" offer as thats just a little bit of extra hassle. If you decide which phone you want you can see what offers they have, and to my knowledge they only offer 24 month contracts. Given the designers build in obsolescence after 2 years I wouldn't be signing up to a 36 month contract.

I would say though that there seems to be a significant increase on the cost of a top end phone since I last renewed. You used to be able to get one for £40ish, and now you're looking at £60ish. I don't think the technological advances justify it personally. I think I'm going to go with last years "new" phone.

Completely agree, I thought the same. I'm going for the sim only option and will just keep tabs on any offers.

Thanks for the website, I shall have a browse.

If you get last year's 'new model' on a 2-year contract, in effect you'd be changing a phone with 3-year old technology at the end of the contract. Just as you would with a 'this year's' phone on a 3-year contract. It might be a bit cheaper but both would be equally obsolete!

If you get last year's 'new model' on a 2-year contract, in effect you'd be changing a phone with 3-year old technology at the end of the contract. Just as you would with a 'this year's' phone on a 3-year contract. It might be a bit cheaper but both would be equally obsolete!
I don't mean obsolete technology as such, I mean the phone stops functioning as well and the battery starts to fail after 2 years of use.

Last years "new model" is still a brand new phone, never been used etc. Just the manufacturer has a newer flagship with some additional features.

Hi all,

I've gone from a Samsung S7 to a Samsung A51 and it's fuckin mint.

I've had it two weeks and if I'm honest I'm still fathoming the ins and outs of it but it's a decent bit of kit.

Got a cracking deal with EE who I've been with for about 15 years, didn't charge me for upgrading a month early, I was supposed to pay £80 up front for this phone but scrapped that, free delivery too.

Well chuffed.

Just switched the daughter over to smarty which is 3 by another name sim only cancel anytime unlimited text and calls 30gb of tinternet £10 per month

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.