New striker?

I'd like to see the likes of Delap and Touaizi promoted to the first team picture for this role to be tried in games that are already won from the bench, or early cup games against lower league opposition, however, something tells me only having 1 player achieve this since 2010 it isn't going to be happening anytime soon (and that 1 player had to wait 3 years before REALLY making it into the first team set-up).

So sentiment aside, YES we do need a new striker, but knowing Txiki and his mesmeric abilities and awareness, we will wait until Sergio goes back home to Argentina to finish his career at his boyhood club Indipendiente, before we start looking and once prices are stated, we will back out and try looking for a "bargain", thus ending up with a Mahrez, Gundogan, Stones calibre of standard in the attacking role, instead of a top quality star the standards of an Aguero, Bernardo, KDB etc.

Players I would like us to be chasing Haaland (won't because of his agent, but I cannot remember the last time an agent played for the club), Joao Felix (missed that boat now, and would cost huge sums to get now), Mbappe (see Felix), Dybala (similar in style to Sergio, and only 27), Aleksander Isak, Santi Mina or Amine Gouiri (all younger than 23 years old)

I'd like to see the likes of Delap and Touaizi promoted to the first team picture for this role to be tried in games that are already won from the bench, or early cup games against lower league opposition, however, something tells me only having 1 player achieve this since 2010 it isn't going to be happening anytime soon (and that 1 player had to wait 3 years before REALLY making it into the first team set-up).

So sentiment aside, YES we do need a new striker, but knowing Txiki and his mesmeric abilities and awareness, we will wait until Sergio goes back home to Argentina to finish his career at his boyhood club Indipendiente, before we start looking and once prices are stated, we will back out and try looking for a "bargain", thus ending up with a Mahrez, Gundogan, Stones calibre of standard in the attacking role, instead of a top quality star the standards of an Aguero, Bernardo, KDB etc.

Players I would like us to be chasing Haaland (won't because of his agent, but I cannot remember the last time an agent played for the club), Joao Felix (missed that boat now, and would cost huge sums to get now), Mbappe (see Felix), Dybala (similar in style to Sergio, and only 27), Aleksander Isak, Santi Mina or Amine Gouiri (all younger than 23 years old)
Touaizi hasn`t been in the EDS squad in ages. He`s nowhere near the first team. Delap is a lot better

To be serious for the Champions League I think it has to be Mbappe, Haaland or Kane next summer. If Messi becomes free then that's a bonus.
Delap has to score his way into the squad.
Contract buyout might determine our Sergio replacement. Ain't cheap replacing him

Whilst I think Txiki has got plenty of things wrong, I'm not sure his job of replacing Aguero is so simple nor would picking one from your suggestions be so easy, except Haaland & Mbappe, which are obviously talented but will be rather difficult & expensive.

I mean which one of these are you plumping for, to replace Aguero's 23 goals in 32 games from last season ? You can't sign them all.

(And baring in mind Delap appears to be training with the first team already)

Touaizi for the first team. (9 goals in 32 games at U21)
Joao Felix (9 goals in 36 games)
Dybala (17 goals in 46 games)
Alexander Isak (16 goals in 46 games)
Santi Mina (8 goals in 36 games)
Amine Gouri (2 goals in 16 games career)

Not especially easy to guarantee Aguero out of that lot, I would suggest.

Felix would have cost us 113 million. Dybala almost 27 & not as prolific as the strikers we already have.

He did find Gabriel Jesus, who is 23 (23 goals in 53 games) for 20 odd million.

Whilst I think Txiki has got plenty of things wrong, I'm not sure his job of replacing Aguero is so simple nor would picking one from your suggestions be so easy, except Haaland & Mbappe, which are obviously talented but will be rather difficult & expensive.

I mean which one of these are you plumping for, to replace Aguero's 23 goals in 32 games from last season ? You can't sign them all.

Felix would have cost us 113 million. Dybala almost 27 & not as prolific as the strikers we already have.

It'll be good to see Isak this season and if he starts to kick on. He's 20, so it's around the next season or 2 when most strikers really emerge.

To be serious for the Champions League I think it has to be Mbappe, Haaland or Kane next summer. If Messi becomes free then that's a bonus.
Delap has to score his way into the squad.
Contract buyout might determine our Sergio replacement. Ain't cheap replacing him

We would have to bribe the Italian slob, with enough money to guarantee Haaland, then pay the transfer fee & wages.

I don't think we are willing to, as a club.

It'll be good to see Isak this season and if he starts to kick on. He's 20, so it's around the next season or 2 when most strikers really emerge.

Maybe.

There may be some South Americans under the radar, like Jesus was.

Haaland is the obvious player though, for any team.

Not easy to find replacement for Kun as there's a definite shortage of natural strikers. Loads of creative midfielders and we already have the better ones. Other than Ronaldo, Messi, Kane and Haaland can't see anyone who would increase our goal output, which TBF is already pretty impressive. Hopefully one will pop up from somewhere!

Out of all that lot for me as a "direct replacement" and still expect the goal return would be either Dybala or Joao Felix, but like you said, both would cost an absolute packet to get now with the way transfer fees have skyrocketted.

Dybala gets that goals tally in a defensive minded league, where it is not easy to score 20+ goals each season
Touaizi, I believe someone said he has not been seen much from of late, so looks like the boat has sailed by for that one, and he has been overtaken by Delap, and will no doubt be loaned out or sold soon.
Joao Felix, that for me is a decent record in truth when you consider how defensively set up Atletico Madrid are, they don't score too many goals as it is, just don't miss them, when Aguero was at Atletico before we got him, his record for goals was:
2006/07 - 38 Games 6 Goals
2007/08 - 37 Games 19 Goals
2008/09 - 37 Games 17 Goals
2009/10 - 31 Games 12 Goals
2010/11 - 32 Games 20 Goals

Improvement as he went along, with 3 good scoring seasons for them, so I wouldn't write the likes of Felix off just yet as capable, but I don't think we will go for him, nor get him anyhow, but it would be either him or Dybala for a direct replacement, for an alternative replacement and still be able to rely of finishing powers, then like you say Haaland is the obvious one, after that I do like the look of Isak.......Santi Mina and Gouri are very young and IMHO will be future superstars, just not at the level we will need yet.

It sure won't be simple or easy, hence why we should be trying as early as possible to ensure we are not left trying to fix the gap when it is there, we as a club will know if Sergio is going to sign the new contract or not, if not start the process now, if he is, then start it next summer.

It's going to be a tricky one, world class strikers are at an all time low, seems everyone wants to be a goalscoring winger now. Plus, Pep wants a striker to fit a certain mould. Can't think of anyone who will press and disrupt defenders and link play like Jesus, score 20+ like Aguero, and be an aerial threat from crosses, corners and set pieces. Just 2 out of those 3 would cost a fortune. Haaland seems the obvious one, but everyone will be after him, and even with the release clause, the add ons and his agent will make it ridiculously expensive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.