New TV for mother with early onset Dementia (need easy to use).

Thanks for the replies folks and affirms where I'm up to. Sorry to hear of similar struggles...it really is a f**ker.

The set was actually replaced by my cousin a few months back (like for like the only difference being the colour).
This was in the belief that the TV was faulty (it wasn't, it was the remote so she now has two sets).
It's a Samsung probably going back 15 years (or longer) one of the early LED's.

I'll have a look into the Samsungs. All I really need it to do is be able to be pressed through those SD channels (1, 2, 3 etc) and maybe use the up/down to go further through the sub channels (which she does).
As long as I have reference to the remote control I can probably talk her through the process if she presses the wrong button (AV sources is the usual culprit).

As I said above, ideally I'd have a tool (like team viewer) to remotely take over the set if it were to go awry, but AFAIK that's not yet available.
Tried a firestick last year btw, but no luck - that's too far off piste from the SD channels which ends up getting her lost.
An Alexa standalone speaker might be an option (if not for the TV but radio etc).

I took her for a brain scan a few weeks ago (they were looking in why she has headaches). Scan was fortunately clear, and the dementia was early stages but quite stable....she seems to be set a level for now.
I live a fair distance away unfortunately but a good cousin (almost daughter like relationship) is closer by so we're managing quite well at the moment.

I'll have a good look around. I think the tech industry is probably behind the curve with all this, but given many generations grew up in the tech age (or nationally tech savvy) many of us may need this to be aligned in the future.

Sorry to hear about your mum bud, I have no idea how you can get a solution for the TV issue but send you best wishes for her and hope you sort something out.

Thanks mate.
The year from hell in all honesty.
She was such a strong figure (managed the local Citizens Advice Bureau for much of her life) and well known in the community. In fact just a couple of yeas ago she was the local labour councillor (in her late 70's).

Why not just get something like this mate?

I've used a One for All in the past (after losing a controller we couldn't replace). Worked v well, so as your above link there's this one too.

What I'd need to probably do is program the set so all the channels are as they should be (SD at least):

1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 etc...

Whether it's possible to program the HD channels to 1, 2, 3...(as these would be sharper for her eyes) but that might not be possible (and it's not an option for her to use anything other than the aforementioned 1, 2, 3 etc).

https://www.oneforall.co.uk/universal-remotes/urc-6810-tv-zapper#/step-1

Thanks mate.
The year from hell in all honesty.
She was such a strong figure (managed the local Citizens Advice Bureau for much of her life) and well known in the community. In fact just a couple of yeas ago she was the local labour councillor (in her late 70's).

Wierd, my mum was in the CAB and did loads for the RSPCA, The Talking Newspapers and the local community also. She was a member of the Conservatives though, she used to send her teeth to them in those pre paid envelopes......

Wierd, my mum was in the CAB and did loads for the RSPCA, The Talking Newspapers and the local community also. She was a member of the Conservatives though, she used to send her teeth to them in those pre paid envelopes......
Interesting parallels.
Why did she send her teeth away though? !

Interesting parallels.
Why did she send her teeth away though? !

Why did she do a lot of things........unfortunately it's what dementia does, they all made perfect sense and good reason to her. Some of the things she did were hilarious to be fair and I suppose it was best if we laughed with her over these things than got angry. Some were down right dangerous aswell.......

Why did she do a lot of things........unfortunately it's what dementia does, they all made perfect sense and good reason to her. Some of the things she did were hilarious to be fair and I suppose it was best if we laughed with her over these things than got angry. Some were down right dangerous aswell.......
Ahh apologies - I thought this was pre dementia tbh.
Now I understand. Yes, my mum does some odd things (and says odd things). I'm the same...I have to try and laugh and turn the conversations around rapidly if they go off piste or angry....otherwise I'm fighting back tears.

This is a lovely idea but consider it carefully. I did the same with my dad but it was a bit of a disaster. I found out that he was able to operate his previous tv simply because he always had done. That is to say, without thinking about it. He simply got confused, frustrated and angry with the new set wishing he had his old one back. Plus, I'd get about 6 or 7 calls an evening asking me how to change channels.

Any good. Can program channel list.

Meant for op and not Newman. Need a big button t let...

Still looking into this as I need to get it right (as per some of the concerns above).

From what I now gather, most sets can be programmed to have certain channels in a certain order (or priority) and with a simple remote it would be far easier for her to remain on Freeview channels only (and not EXT/DVD/HDMI etc).

Anyone know much about this set? Seems to get generally favourable reviews but perhaps a tad overprices (in some of the more pro reviews). Samsung do seem a tad easier to set up though...

Edit - saw this much cheaper model....I'm sure they're both on the lower end of a really decent set but much in them from my mother's point of view?

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/samsung-ue43tu7100

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.