New TV for mother with early onset Dementia (need easy to use).

somapop

Hi all.

My mother is in the early stages of dementia sadly (on top of this awful year).
She was quite active on her iMac until relatively recently but now technology is a definite no no.
However, she loves her TV but it's a tad old and small. The 32" is tiny from where she is sitting so thinking maybe 42" (45" tops?) would be better. Probably make her month when she sees a new big tv (just as it would me to be fair...).

However, at the moment she literally turns it on via standby and it's on either BBC1, 2, ITV, CH4 or Ch5 and she can click up/down or press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the remote to find the channel (she often goes off piste and ventures into those NCSI level channels...).

Are there any TV's you can do this with still without getting lost (for her) in a rabbit hole of Smart Features? Other than that, is there (yet) an option to dial in a 'take over' someones set like Team Views on computers?

Otherwise maybe just pick up a dedicated remote after the TV has been purchased (still, the TV need to have straightforward UI).

Thanks.

I can't really recommend any TVs as such @somapop but totally understand your situation.

If she is able to use the current set and remote, maybe get her the same make/model but with a bigger screen? Ebay would be a good starting place and would be pretty cheap I suspect.

I hope you can get something sorted.

Was in the exact same boat with my mum a few years ago. It finally got to the stage I'm afraid where by we went to the old old analogue signal on a basic TV, turned the telly on and left it. She lost and broke that many TV remotes it was the easiest thing to do. She was the same with vacuum cleaners, the phone, microwaves, and finally the cooker and gas fire had to be turned off permanently. We've been there and done it sadly, look after her.

Currently using BT TV and it's pretty straightforward to turn off the channels I don't want appearing on the guide and the ones I don't subscribe to.

Channel numbers are as per Dennis's post above.

As also mentioned a TV from the same manufacturer might help although an extra remote like BT or sky probably wouldn't.

A second hand larger version of the same brand with no smart capability might help in the short term.

About five years ago, when I got my latest TV, I opted for a 'dumb' model. Essentially, had no fancy interface or features, just the channels and a couple of HDMI ports to hook things up to. I thought that if I needed any 'smart' features I could just run those through the playstation. Even back then a 'dumb' TV was a rare as hens teeth so I don't think it would have got much better nowadays. I can find the paperwork and give you a specific model number if you'd like, but again don think you'll be in luck.

This is a lovely idea but consider it carefully. I did the same with my dad but it was a bit of a disaster. I found out that he was able to operate his previous tv simply because he always had done. That is to say, without thinking about it. He simply got confused, frustrated and angry with the new set wishing he had his old one back. Plus, I'd get about 6 or 7 calls an evening asking me how to change channels.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.