New York City FC

A typical city performance then?

dsc_111011_the_scream___almost_by_eiledon-d4chlts.jpg

Hopefully there won't be an over-reaction to this result - this is how they've been all season, some great runs of results followed (or preceded) by some shockers. When they blow it, they do it bigly (happy the Red Bulls got knocked out btw).

Overall a really good season, finishing 2nd with that defence, especially when Viera is persisting with his passing philosophy (even Alexei Lalas was giving him a lot of credit for this during the game last night). Look at Orlando, who started when we did and recruited Kaka - second season in a row they failed to even make the play-offs.

Get some better defenders who can play the way Viera wants and they could be even better next year. I'm sure CFG will be more than satisfied with the progress this season, despite the manner of their departure from the play-offs.

Hopefully there won't be an over-reaction to this result - this is how they've been all season, some great runs of results followed (or preceded) by some shockers. When they blow it, they do it bigly (happy the Red Bulls got knocked out btw).

Overall a really good season, finishing 2nd with that defence, especially when Viera is persisting with his passing philosophy (even Alexei Lalas was giving him a lot of credit for this during the game last night). Look at Orlando, who started when we did and recruited Kaka - second season in a row they failed to even make the play-offs.

Get some better defenders who can play the way Viera wants and they could be even better next year. I'm sure CFG will be more than satisfied with the progress this season, despite the manner of their departure from the play-offs.

To be honest i think they will look towards a new designated player to replace Pirlo, hopefully someone who can organize the defence.

Frank has announced that he is leaving NYCFC when his contract expires at the end of the year.

Seems like Slippy G. is parting company with LA Galaxy too.

Are they both off to join dozy david in Miami?

If you want to see the mechanisms of a league which simply make no logical sense, you can tune in to MLS's expansion draft right now, where the two new teams in the league get to pick 5 players for free each off the squad lists of the other clubs in the league, and there's nothing their current clubs are allowed to do to stop them:

There's a 50-50 chance that NYCFC loses a player here, although many would argue that's far lower than that as their squad really isn't that good and every team gets to "protect" 11 players, which constitutes about their full list of decent players.

If you want to see the mechanisms of a league which simply make no logical sense, you can tune in to MLS's expansion draft right now, where the two new teams in the league get to pick 5 players for free each off the squad lists of the other clubs in the league, and there's nothing their current clubs are allowed to do to stop them:

There's a 50-50 chance that NYCFC loses a player here, although many would argue that's far lower than that as their squad really isn't that good and every team gets to "protect" 11 players, which constitutes about their full list of decent players.

I wasn't aware there was a draft system in place within the MLS, I actually think that's piss funny... Imagine that in the prem, one real asset comes through your academy system then some upstart comes and pulls the rug, brilliant...

Are oversees players able to be part of a draft?

Completely clueless to how things work with regards to sports in the States. Are there any restrictions with the type of player a team can and can't go for in the draft? Is it just domestic players or can they grab ANY player? What if a team have only just signed the player themselves a season ago?

I wasn't aware there was a draft system in place within the MLS, I actually think that's piss funny... Imagine that in the prem, one real asset comes through your academy system then some upstart comes and pulls the rug, brilliant...

Are oversees players able to be part of a draft?

There isn't just "a" draft system, there's about five. They have a draft for young players entering the league, a draft for expansion teams to fill their squads, a draft for when teams go out of business, a draft for players who are released...

And yes, all players in the league are eligible for the draft. It is noticeable, however, that all US players coming in from outside of the league have to go through the "allocation order", which means that teams with the highest pick get to opt to sign them over and above any other team that might have negotiated with them.

Completely clueless to how things work with regards to sports in the States. Are there any restrictions with the type of player a team can and can't go for in the draft? Is it just domestic players or can they grab ANY player? What if a team have only just signed the player themselves a season ago?

They can sign any player - even DPs, although DPs used to be exempt. Each team got to protect 11 from being picked, and once a team loses a player they can't lose any more in the draft. Each of the two new clubs get five picks and five only. Other than that, it's a free-for-all.

That said, each player then does have to negotiate a contract with their new club, and they can refuse. However, in order to prevent clubs from hanging onto their players by persuading them to refuse to sign for the new team, if they do refuse then they become effectively a free agent, but one which is not allowed to sign for any other club for a certain time limit and has to go through another draft to find a new team, so their chances of returning to the old club are slim. The old club does have the option of trading back for them if they're really desperate, however.

Honestly the whole system is nuts. I understand the rules, but I just can't see any virtue in it at all over our system.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.