New York City FC

There isn't just "a" draft system, there's about five. They have a draft for young players entering the league, a draft for expansion teams to fill their squads, a draft for when teams go out of business, a draft for players who are released...

And yes, all players in the league are eligible for the draft. It is noticeable, however, that all US players coming in from outside of the league have to go through the "allocation order", which means that teams with the highest pick get to opt to sign them over and above any other team that might have negotiated with them.

They can sign any player - even DPs, although DPs used to be exempt. Each team got to protect 11 from being picked, and once a team loses a player they can't lose any more in the draft. Each of the two new clubs get five picks and five only. Other than that, it's a free-for-all.

That said, each player then does have to negotiate a contract with their new club, and they can refuse. However, in order to prevent clubs from hanging onto their players by persuading them to refuse to sign for the new team, if they do refuse then they become effectively a free agent, but one which is not allowed to sign for any other club for a certain time limit and has to go through another draft to find a new team, so their chances of returning to the old club are slim. The old club does have the option of trading back for them if they're really desperate, however.

Honestly the whole system is nuts. I understand the rules, but I just can't see any virtue in it at all over our system.

Interesting! Cheers for that. A crazy system indeed.

so who are NYC looking at to strengthen the squad next season, who are the new overseas players going to be?

Well they still need a new DP. They've already brought in a new keeper and a young striker, but they'll need backup up-front plus reliable CBs, a DM to replace Iraola (who also retired) and a few more to shore up the midfield. In other words, pretty much all areas either need a new starting player or a new backup.

I wasn't aware there was a draft system in place within the MLS, I actually think that's piss funny... Imagine that in the prem, one real asset comes through your academy system then some upstart comes and pulls the rug, brilliant...

Are oversees players able to be part of a draft?

If it's the same as the other major sports in America, and as far as I'm aware, it is, the draftees are college graduates, rather than youth-team players.

If it's the same as the other major sports in America, and as far as I'm aware, it is, the draftees are college graduates, rather than youth-team players.

Yeah, I understand the draft system for American football etc, I'm a fan of the sport, I meant in comparison with regards to academy players as we don't have that system!!!

Yeah, I understand the draft system for American football etc, I'm a fan of the sport, I meant in comparison with regards to academy players as we don't have that system!!!

In fairness, MLS does also have an academy system and a "Homegrown" status (although I found out this week that - against all dictates of logic - homegrown status can apparently be traded to other teams) so academy players will not go through the draft unless they are released first by their parent club, and they can't be stolen by other clubs.

This makes no sense to me. Are you saying that an expansion team could take Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore, Zavaleta and Ricketts from TFC?
You can protect a number of players in your squad. Everyone else is fair game, but your better players will probably be protected.

Aahh, Cheers. I missed that bit.

Yep. Think you might have also missed the bit where you can only take one player from each club before the rest of their squad becomes undraftable. However, yes, in theory one of those players could've been stolen by another team if they hadn't been protected.

Yep. Think you might have also missed the bit where you can only take one player from each club before the rest of their squad becomes undraftable. However, yes, in theory one of those players could've been stolen by another team if they hadn't been protected.

Cheers. I hadn't read your 2nd post before I responded to the first one.
It's a crazy system alright.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.