Newcastle (a) post-match thread

Perhaps it's not their fault, but when we go to Newcastle with a stretched side and don't feel able to play either player then that tells you they have flopped.

I would play Rodri. City are wide open when teams counter-attack us. Stick Rodri in there, and give him a run. Rodri in for Gundog. Foden in for Silva. We bought Rodri to replace Fernandinho but somehow now think Gundog is better in that deep role? He's never been any good as a defensive-minded player. #

We're hard-hit by injury but I don't understand the choices Pep is making. They seem to leave us with a pne-paced pedestrian midfield which is vulnerable to counter-attack and too slow in possession.

There's no evidence Pep has ditched Rodri for Gundog. He made a change today based I would think on an opposition that he expected to sit deep and giving Rodri, who is coming back from injury, a rest ahead of the trip to Burnley. I'm sure Rodri was penciled in to start at Turf Moor even before Gundo got himself a suspension.

Point taken OB but I'm really struggling to get my nut round how injuries can make the lad leather every pass he plays?

In his attempts to leather the ball on every pass or cross he miss kicks it because technically he is so fucking poor and its why so many balls either hit a defender or go astray.

I literally can not cope watching him any longer.

Perhaps it's not their fault, but when we go to Newcastle with a stretched side and don't feel able to play either player then that tells you they have flopped.

I would play Rodri. City are wide open when teams counter-attack us. Stick Rodri in there, and give him a run. Rodri in for Gundog. Foden in for Silva. We bought Rodri to replace Fernandinho but somehow now think Gundog is better in that deep role? He's never been any good as a defensive-minded player. #

We're hard-hit by injury but I don't understand the choices Pep is making. They seem to leave us with a pne-paced pedestrian midfield which is vulnerable to counter-attack and too slow in possession.
We are so slow going forward which used to be our biggest threat. Sane is a huge miss but Silva and Gundogan for me are the biggest culprits. I’d get rid of the Fernandinho experiment (even though I thought he played well today - he’d play well anywhere) and go back to what made us so good. Fern in DM, KDB and Foden in midfield. Use Rodri over time and build up his confidence over the rest of the season as he learns the PL, but fern for me is the king still of that position and we miss so much his forward passing that so often creates the momentum for our attacks.

In his attempts to leather the ball on every pass or cross he miss kicks it because technically he is so fucking poor and its why so many balls either hit a defender or go astray.

I literally can not cope watching him any longer.

Very unlike us to buy someone who isn't technically proficient though isn't it?

Head scratcher.

Well we bought new players who were suppsoed to re=charge City but they flopped.

We also have young players who could have the same effect. pep refuses to play them.

Our defending is especially poor.

Where would we be had we brought in Foden for Silva and Garcia for laporte? I reckon we'd be a lot better off, but that is with the benefit of hindsight.
Flopped ffs and hw many ways can you bash dave,boring now

Point taken OB but I'm really struggling to get my nut round how injuries can make the lad leather every pass he plays?

I don't think he does leather every pass but, regardless of that, he still completed a lot of passes today. He is struggling though to get his game right. He under hit some crosses today and then belted one far too hard.

Pep has said that Mendy is a guy who needs to play a lot to tune his game up so let's hope Pep is right.

We are so slow going forward which used to be our biggest threat. Sane is a huge miss but Silva and Gundogan for me are the biggest culprits. I’d get rid of the Fernandinho experiment (even though I thought he played well today - he’d play well anywhere) and go back to what made us so good. Fern in DM, KDB and Foden in midfield. Use Rodri over time and build up his confidence over the rest of the season as he learns the PL, but fern for me is the king still of that position and we miss so much his forward passing that so often creates the momentum for our attacks.
How can you say Fernandinho played well today? City had virtually nothing to do defeinsively but he gave away a stupid free-kick and really could have been sent off. That was almost unforgivable. If Stones did that he'd be rightly castigated.

Fernandinho moving to central defence has cost us again and again. No doubt given time he'd learn the role

I think Mendy's injuries have taken a major toll on him and his confidence is low. Whether he can recover and develop his game is a unknowable; although plenty have opinions on it.

send him out on loan to do that

Getting city playing well again is far important to me than mendys rehabilitation.

I've argued this all season.

Fernandinho in the DM position is the single most important part of our machinery.

You don't remove him from that position.

This is particularly so when you have several actual CBs who could play at CB.

Doing this weakens us at both DM and CB simultaneously.

Pep has got this very wrong imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.