Newcastle United takeover?

Season before Keegan took over it was 16,834
Promotion season with him was 21,148
First season with him in The Premier League 29,018

Our season in the 3rd tier we averaged 28,273
The promotion season (83/84) the capacity was 36,000 and the average was 29,881

First season back (the following season 84/85) it was 26,228.
You have to consider everyone else's attendances at that time too before saying their crowds were shite.
City played Villa away on New Years Day in 1986 - four years after Villa won the European Cup. There were 14,000 there (including a few thousand from City).
I recall being at Stamford Bridge and there being 8000 there (i may be wrong but think 2 sides were closed because of hooliganism)

Last edited:
The promotion season (83/84) the capacity was 36,000 and the average was 29,881

First season back (the following season 84/85) it was 26,228.
You have to consider everyone else's attendances at that time too before saying their crowds were shite.
City played Villa away on New Years Day in 1986 - four years after Villa won the European Cup. There were 14,000 there (including a few thousand from City).
I recall being at Stamford Bridge and there being 8000 there (i may be wrong but think 2 sides were closed because of hooliganism)
I get that but there seems to be this myth created in the media around the early to mid 90's that Newcastle fans were this ultra loyal fanbase who packed out St James Park every week even though they've won nothing for over 60 years which couldn't be further from the truth.

When someone mentions Newcastle fans now the first time thing which springs to mind is one of them punching a police horse

I get that but there seems to be this myth created in the media around the early to mid 90's that Newcastle fans were this ultra loyal fanbase who packed out St James Park every week even though they've won nothing for over 60 years which couldn't be further from the truth.

When someone mentions Newcastle fans now the first time thing which springs to mind is one of them punching a police horse
The geordie was jealous of the horses superior wit and intellect

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.