Newcastle United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris a few have mentioned the ups and down of following any club, I get that, it's part of football but actively encouraging something that will increase the likelihood of more downs is weird in my opinion.

On your second point about needing success I'm talking about the club needing current levels of income to sustain itself. Its not rocket science, look at Arsenal since they swapped CL money for Thursday money. In the scenario I'm talking about we have 5 really strong clubs, Newcastle, City, Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea, 5 into 4 doesn't go. One well run, successful club will miss out if they make even a couple of mistakes, Utd are a more recent example of quickly it can go wrong. Mistakes at that level are much harder to rectify, they are a lot more expensive than Bony and Jo, mistakes like Ozil, Sanchez and Ronaldo can cripple a club. Post Pep that could easily be you given history also tells us that legendary managers are very rarely adequately replaced.
It's the cycle of football and currently we are going through our highest of highs. I'm not encouraging anything there in my post I'm simply being realistic and no matter what, we as City fans would support our club, so don't twist my words.
So comparing us to Arsenal in the potential event of Pep leaving? When Wenger was in charge Arsenal last won the Premier League in 2003/04 (Peak). Yes they had the Champions League money but they were in and out of it and they last reached a final back in 2006, that's 15 years ago. I could sit here all day long and list out all things wrong with that club, starting recently with their staff redundancies last year and their £120m loan to offset everything from Covid, shall I go on? As a club they have completely different methods and approach's on and off the field.
So the Wenger factor, him leaving in 2018, our transition is going to be nothing like that, because as previously said, we are one of the best run sporting structures in the world. For one Arsenal fans are fickle creatures and wanted him out after all that success (grass isn't always greener) or have people already forgotten that? and besides apart from recent FA cups they have won fuck all for nearly 20 years, yes 20 years! Given that they are a London red shirt club. So I would say Arsenal are still going through their trough and still looking for their identity again since Wenger left, but showing some good signs if they stick with Arteta. Saying that those fickle fans only need 2 or 3 loses on the bounce and there will be banners outside again.
So I'll hedge my bets and say we won't end up like Arsenal. We've consistently won trophies now for the last 10 years like Arsenal did back in the 90's and even then it wasn't as consistent as what we are winning now and we've had 3 managers in charge.
I'd like to think we are a lot more shrewd in the transfer market, even going back as recent as 2015 (Bony). But hey Wilfred still has a Carling Cup to his name so not so bad hey. There are also reasons why we step away eventually from players like Sanchez, Ronaldo, Kane etc. We simply do not pay the fees these players, agents or clubs demand. Sooner or later something has to give.
Moving onto your scenario, this happens every season regardless of the teams. That 5 could be 6 one year and 8 another it's why clubs keep investing and it's what we as Man City keep doing. That's without taking our academy into consideration! I'm sure at an end of season review going into the next the board will have their risk management strategy meeting. We will keep investing whilst Pep is in charge and long after he isn't.
The key is that the foundations are in place for when he does leave so anybody coming in has everything at their disposal and I believe the next manager has already been lined up or at least been spoken about. It's called long term strategy.
Back on topic, this Newcastle situation is an interesting one. Rivalry speaking they are not when it comes to, let's call it the "big 6". They don't have a rival like the red shirts do or the Manchester derby or the London derbys.
They are just up there, the sleeping giant people have called them in the past, but that is only because of their city it is only now they have financial backing, Villa have similar so are we putting them in this 5 really strong clubs you talk about? However, Newcastle economically, their location, infrastructure etc. From an investment point of view. Interesting times ahead for them, on and off the field.
I've been saying it for the last 12 months, that whole area is about boom and Newcastle football club will be at the heart of it with their new owners. IF they get it right.
But rest assured when they do have their day reaching that top four spot and at this moment in time that day could 1 year, it could be 5 years away. We will still be up there fighting on all fronts with or without Pep as our manager.
spurs however, well they will continue being spurs and Arsenal who knows.

Chris a few have mentioned the ups and down of following any club, I get that, it's part of football but actively encouraging something that will increase the likelihood of more downs is weird in my opinion.

On your second point about needing success I'm talking about the club needing current levels of income to sustain itself. Its not rocket science, look at Arsenal since they swapped CL money for Thursday money. In the scenario I'm talking about we have 5 really strong clubs, Newcastle, City, Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea, 5 into 4 doesn't go. One well run, successful club will miss out if they make even a couple of mistakes, Utd are a more recent example of quickly it can go wrong. Mistakes at that level are much harder to rectify, they are a lot more expensive than Bony and Jo, mistakes like Ozil, Sanchez and Ronaldo can cripple a club. Post Pep that could easily be you given history also tells us that legendary managers are very rarely adequately replaced.
Newcastle are nowhere near City, Manure , Chelsea or Pool yet , lol !!!

You've just been bought, it could take 3 years for you to get to the top or it could take 5, or 6 or 10, nobody knows !! Maybe your owners won't even be that invested into making you win trophies. You are already talking as if you're a top 4-5 team lol !
You will have to avoid relegation this season , you'll be nowhere near the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham even for a while, let alone the top 4 teams.

As for us , we been at the top winning the PL before Pep came here. It will be difficult to replace him , as he's the best manager in the world , but we've been a well managed club for a while now, we'll be fine!

If they lose today and results go against them with teams around them it's going to look bleak for them next year.

I know it's early on in the season but with the team they have they could be out of touch by christmas and no amount of buying in January will prevent them dropping to the championship.

That said, if this mob are in it for the long haul it shouldn't take much to bounce back up stronger than they are now.

If Newcastle go down, next season we will see the strongest Championship team of all time.

They will have a top manager and make big 50+m signings, even in the champ.. might be a bit lobsided.
With £150m revenue, they won’t be making £50m signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.