NFL Draft

Love the Chargers pick at 18 - Melvin Ingram. We've needed a big and nasty OLB since Merriman got injured. Having said that, Ingram is not just OLB, they reckon he could be an ILB, special teams player and even a tight end. On the tape they showed him scoring a 50yrd punt fake return. The guy is an absolute beast who was projected to go top 10, to get him at 18 in the Chargers most pressing need was awesome!

As for the players not wanting to play for the team that chooses them... it does happen. Check out the Eli Manning/Philip Rivers trade by the Chargers/Giants.

gaudinho's stolen car said:
How come it's called football when it's completely different from football?

Original.

Evolved from Rugby Football and Gaelic Football. American Rules Football has been shortened to football over the years.

The sport took hold of the country before football which is called soccer as it's a south american shortened version of the word Association which is footballs real name - Association Football.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
niall_mcfc said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
saw them talking about this on the news..... what does it exactly mean???

In the Nfl they get all their players from the college system. The draft is the best eligible college players being selected for their pro teams. The team with the worst record gets the 1st pick and so on. My team the Colts had the worst record so we selected 1st and took a new Qb as we released our previous one.

So the players are a bit like slaves and told who has just bought them without their approval or consent?
Whilst I appreciate they will be paid handsomely for their employment, some college kid from (say) South Carolina now has to pack his bags and move to (say) Buffalo and can't say 'no'?

I mean, imagine this applied to ''soccer'' in the UK and the team that picked you.....was the rags...... against your will......

The NFL now has a wage scale for these players that was collectively bargained. They ARE paid handsomely. After a certain amount of time, the player can go "free agent" where he can sell his services to the best bidder.

This "draft" system works as it insures competitive balance for the NFL, which BOTH employers and employees agree is a good thing. BTW the consumers aka the supporters think its a good idea as well. The NFL has a salary cap, which is a good thing too. The way the NFL is run puts to shame the way the Premier League and FIFA are run. In any given year, about 1/2 the teams in the NFL have a chance to win the Super Bowl. Most European League (including England) there are only a few that can have a legit shot at the start of the year. Which is better????

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
niall_mcfc said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
saw them talking about this on the news..... what does it exactly mean???

In the Nfl they get all their players from the college system. The draft is the best eligible college players being selected for their pro teams. The team with the worst record gets the 1st pick and so on. My team the Colts had the worst record so we selected 1st and took a new Qb as we released our previous one.

So the players are a bit like slaves and told who has just bought them without their approval or consent?
Whilst I appreciate they will be paid handsomely for their employment, some college kid from (say) South Carolina now has to pack his bags and move to (say) Buffalo and can't say 'no'?

I mean, imagine this applied to ''soccer'' in the UK and the team that picked you.....was the rags...... against your will......

It's more like they're being hired by one of the teams in the NFL. So if you want to work for the league you have to play for the team that drafts you (or sit out as previously mentioned). They aren't being bought at all because the college they're leaving doesn't receive any money, drafting them is free but then they have to negotiate a salary with the player.

Plus, I think it makes perfect sense that teams pick in reverse order of finish. It leads to parity and makes it possible for every team to have success if they have good scouts.

117 M34 said:
Rugby for gays

If that we're true, they could have you if they wanted you. This kid is 21...

628x471.jpg

There is a myth about the wages, only certain players such as the quarterback and running backs are on big bucks, a lot of the defensive guys don't earn a third of what you think. Many have short careers of about 4-5 years and leave due too injury, a lot become bankrupt within the first few years as the cant keep the lifestyle many think they should be able to afford. Baseball is where the money is.

Blue Maverick said:
There is a myth about the wages, only certain players such as the quarterback and running backs are on big bucks, a lot of the defensive guys don't earn a third of what you think. Many have short careers of about 4-5 years and leave due too injury, a lot become bankrupt within the first few years as the cant keep the lifestyle many think they should be able to afford. Baseball is where the money is.

I agree with most of it, but it's still pretty dang good. League minimum is getting close to $400,000 a season. Not bad for a third string punter! But, yea, baseball still exists without a salary cap so that's where you can make some coin. With pre-season and playoffs included you might play 200 games though. You earn all your money through attrition from brutal schedules.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.