Nicolás Otamendi - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinnie's a great defender, as is Nico. But I don't feel either of them fit as well into Pep's team as Stones and Laporte. Those two might lack a bit of the physical presence at the back, it's true, but offer a much broader range of passing, a lower error rate when taking the ball out of defence, and greater calmness on the ball: recovering the ball deep in their half after an option attack, who is more likely to put their foot through it and gift the ball to the opposition, and who is most likely to find a team mate?

But we are totally spoilt having all four.
Very much this. You've covered it really well. It's not like Vinny or Nico don't fit, it's just the other two fit more.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that Stones and Laporte are lacking physically. Stones has shown on many occasions his strength when he's confident and Laporte is more than accustomed to that part of his game from his time in Bilbao.

It’s a tough one. Ottamendi has been our best defender over the last 12-18 months, and by some distance. But at some point we have to look to the future. And the future is Stones and Laporte. Nico has another problem in that our other centre back happens to be the club captain, which seems to be giving Vinnie the edge as 3rd choice. It seems like the right decision, but it’s tough on Otamendi because he’s basically gone from 1st choice to 4th choice overnight.

Stones and Laporte is the direction Pep wants to go. Otamendi is going to have to battle it out with Vinny for 3rd choice and hope he can impress in the cups.

Like last season when he was first pick in the best PL ever?

Clearly Pep is giving him an extended break.
John was lacking confidence,Kompany was unreliable with injury and Laporte was finding his feet.Its my opinion that all 3 have overcome their problems and have now overtaken him in terms of selection.
That's no slant on Otamendi,as I think he's a brilliant option,we just happen to be spoilt at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.