Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won everything in the air and played out of his skin, he was my man of the match for City but its worrying that Koeman was targeting him to have the ball though. We lacked that ball playing CB, should have moved Stones left as thats where all the play was going.

It's a fairly obvious tactic. Sane was his support and he's very right footed.
You only need one good diagonal coupled with one good first touch to turn him and have him with the totally wrong body shape.

Not so sure they ever pulled it off though. A left footed defender would always look to show the stacker the line, a right footed player needs to show them inside which become more dangerous.

Thought Otamendi defended excellently. We were one brain fart away from defensive perfection last night.

If you've ever needed evidence that the media think like sheep then look no further than the continued criticism of Otamendi. There's nobody in there willing to watch the game and give a fair assessment, their heads have all been swayed by what they've previously thought and they've decided before a ball has even been kicked what their conclusions are.

You know he's playing well because there are barely any posts on this thread.
This. Lol

After the game I popped into this subsection and his thread was way down the list. I was like yup, today was a good day.

Couldn't contain their striker, gets done for pace every time. Grew into the game though.
Interesting. How many shots did that striker get off.

For what its worth, that kid was going all our CBs for pace. Strangely enough, everyone seems to only remember the Ootamendi ones.

Lets ignore the fact Otamendi forced g he kid to turn back on 2 occasions after getting beat for pace and blocked his cross on another occasion.

But hey, lets focus on the irrelevant part and ignore the televant part of him actually eventually stifling most of the attacks.

Our best passer out of the back imo. 82% long ball accuracy so far(19/23).

Kompany 6/12
Stones 4/6
You don't need stats to see this. It was glaringly obvious against Everton how much better he was at it
I mentioned on Kompany's thread that I'd like to see Kompany improve in that area like Otamendi.

But apparently such factual observations are heresy on some threads. :)

Now I know... I'll adjust appropriately. My apologies @Pablo1

He does need to cut the antics out though. I actually dislike injury faking more than diving. He's better than that.

I like him, apart from the play acting. And I Iike the way he has started this season. He looked really assured on the ball last night and just shaded it as my MotM.

just out of interest had a look at who scored to compare our 3 defenders and otemendi is fair bit ahead of both stones and kompany, Interestingly he is better in the aerial duels then kompany and stones even though he is the shortest of the three. He is also a better tackler of the three.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/10136/Show/Vincent-Kompany
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/101374/Show/John-Stones
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/75691/Show/Nicolás-Otamendi

Overall Who scored rating
VK : 6.62
Stones : 6.45
Otemendi: 7.60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.