Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico got a lot shit for going to ground but to be fair he was incredible at it. Like I've posted before it's a volatile action and at times he can look foolish doing it but there's no denying that it has value.

Nico got a lot shit for going to ground but to be fair he was incredible at it. Like I've posted before it's a volatile action and at times he can look foolish doing it but there's no denying that it has value.

Guardiola was right last year when he said going to ground is bad defending. You only need to slide tackle when you're behind play and it doesn't matter if you make it 80% of the time because for the other 20% you've fucked the team by taking yourself out of the game.

Guardiola was right last year when he said going to ground is bad defending. You only need to slide tackle when you're behind play and it doesn't matter if you make it 80% of the time because for the other 20% you've fucked the team by taking yourself out of the game.

I don't agree with that. It has a lot of value at shot blocking when he's flying in at LCB v a shot to help out the RCB's area. It has value when there's a counter and he slides in and takes the ball out of play. It has value when you have defenders to your left, playing RCB, with the keeper covering his angles but it's only completely covered if you slide vs a shot (think it was leicester when he went to ground and the shot was just barely wide but he looked a little silly but killed the angle, recent game). There's hundreds of spots where sliding made sense to me but I'm no expert. I'm no fool either, just don't have the in game experience.

I concede that I might be wrong here but I'm very confident that his style did more positive than negative and I think I have a very good eye for that. That 80/20 wasn't fair either but was good for making your point.

My gut always told me that this guy knew what he was doing. Has he ever been sent off? Think his recklessness was overstated.

He's cut going to ground out of his game for the most part which plays to your point...I guess it's complicated?

He's a beast now which we can both agree on :-)

I don't agree with that. It has a lot of value at shot blocking when he's flying in at LCB v a shot to help out the RCB's area. It has value when there's a counter and he slides in and takes the ball out of play. It has value when you have defenders to your left, playing RCB, with the keeper covering his angles but it's only completely covered if you slide vs a shot (think it was leicester when he went to ground and the shot was just barely wide but he looked a little silly but killed the angle, recent game). There's hundreds of spots where sliding made sense to me but I'm no expert. I'm no fool either, just don't have the in game experience.

I concede that I might be wrong here but I'm very confident that his style did more positive than negative and I think I have a very good eye for that. That 80/20 wasn't fair either but was good for making your point.

My gut always told me that this guy knew what he was doing. Has he ever been sent off? Think his recklessness was overstated.

He's cut going to ground out of his game for the most part which plays to your point...I guess it's complicated?

He's a beast now which we can both agree on :-)

It's not about getting sent off, it's about ending up on your arse watching while the striker is through 1 on 1 because you went to ground and missed.

No one mentioned blocking shots, so I'm not sure why you've written a paragraph about that.

There's a reason Pep spoke out so publicly about him not liking Otamendi going to ground, and it's not a coincidence that he doesn't do it anymore and is much improved.

It's not about getting sent off, it's about ending up on your arse watching while the striker is through 1 on 1 because you went to ground and missed.

No one mentioned blocking shots, so I'm not sure why you've written a paragraph about that.

There's a reason Pep spoke out so publicly about him not liking Otamendi going to ground, and it's not a coincidence that he doesn't do it anymore and is much improved.

I posted a video showing the value of going to ground and you said it was bad defending. He doesn't do it anymore because he's surrounded by Stones, Walker, Delph, and Ederson. He's got backup now.

I posted a video showing the value of going to ground and you said it was bad defending. He doesn't do it anymore because he's surrounded by Stones, Walker, Delph, and Ederson. He's got backup now.
Maldini: “If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake.”

He doesn't do it anymore because Pep has told him not to. He's still defeding huge spaces and being put in 1v1 situations, he's just had it coached out of him.

Guardiola about Otamendi -

"I don’t like it when central defenders go down on the pitch. I don’t know about last season because I wasn’t here, but we are here to get him better.

I'm sure Maldini played in a squad that aims for 65% possesion, CB's in the attacking half for the entire game, surrounded by Yaya Toure, Zaba (tough but fair :/), Manga, 'arguably the worst GK in PL history' and Kolorov.

You ever played on a really shitty team but you're pretty good? It's a lot of fun. The pressure is incredible and you feel like you have to do everything.

He doesn't do it anymore because Pep has told him not to. He's still defeding huge spaces and being put in 1v1 situations, he's just had it coached out of him.

Guardiola about Otamendi -

"I don’t like it when central defenders go down on the pitch. I don’t know about last season because I wasn’t here, but we are here to get him better.

It's working. I still maintain it has value though. Mangala almost looks comfortable now after time with this coaching staff.

I've never tried to argue that going to ground often makes a defender great .. just that it does have unseen value. That's just my natural observation and the statistics say that he's always been elite so... What else can I do but defend him / argue that what he's doing is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.