Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was unlucky too, the error came after a rather excellent piece of defending on his part.
I agree, Ota has been our most consistent defender this season.

VK looked rusty and several of his passes were way off target.

All the players coming back need some games to get their touch 100%. Wigan useful for Sane, Stones, Silva and hopefully Jesus to prepare for the Arsenal cup final..

hes barely made any mistakes all season. with the style we play our defenders will make mistakes from time to time as well. nothing to worry about.
He has made lots of mistakes. The problem is he is so good at so many things that even with his errors, he is still the best option.

He has made lots of mistakes. The problem is he is so good at so many things that even with his errors, he is still the best option.
I'm not convinced that there's a single centre back in the world who can play the way City would need them too under Pep (in a very physical Premier League to boot) as well as Otamendi does and make fewer errors at the same time.

He doesn't even make that many mistakes, it's just a label that's stuck with him beyond its expiration not too dissimilar to the several Sterling's been tagged with over the years.

I'm not convinced that there's a single centre back in the world who can play the way City would need them too under Pep (in a very physical Premier League to boot) as well as Otamendi does and make fewer errors at the same time.

He doesn't even make that many mistakes, it's just a label that's stuck with him beyond its expiration not too dissimilar to the several Sterling's been tagged with over the years.
To be fair Otamendi's rise to acceptance as being top end good, never sat too well with some of our fans who thought they had him pegged correctly when they thought he was shit.

So you can expect when there are clusters of errors ( and there have been some lately), those folks will pop back up to point out how this worries them, especially for the future against some 'top team' and how it would 'definitely cost us.'

It's simply projection. They had a belief all along, and 4 months of mostly excellent performances didn't convince them of him being generally good.

So now that he has had 3 games of him having an unusually high number of errors of late, they are sure this is more telling of who he is than the previous 4 months.

I'm always amused by this type of reasoning. That said, an eye should be kept on the uptick in errors of late ( it could be a drop in form from tiredness or something) and we have the Quartet to withstand such deeps now.

In conclusion, while I think those ascribing the errors to him generally are silly, I appreciate that there have been a few more than usual in the last few games and it should be monitored.

To be fair Otamendi's rise to acceptance as being top end good, never sat too well with some of our fans who thought they had him pegged correctly when they thought he was shit.

So you can expect when there are clusters of errors ( and there have been some lately), those folks will pop back up to point out how this worries them, especially for the future against some 'top team' and how it would 'definitely cost us.'

It's simply projection. They had a belief all along, and 4 months of mostly excellent performances didn't convince them of him being generally good.

So now that he has had 3 games of him having an unusually high number of errors of late, they are sure this is more telling of who he is than the previous 4 months.

I'm always amused by this type of reasoning. That said, an eye should be kept on the uptick in errors of late ( it could be a drop in form from tiredness or something) and we have the Quartet to withstand such deeps now.

In conclusion, while I think those ascribing the errors to him generally are silly, I appreciate that there have been a few more than usual in the last few games and it should be monitored.
You said what I was holding back on a lot there!

I imagine the rotation at centre back hasn't helped; Stones, Laporte and Kompany are very different ultimately.

Like you the jump to criticise Nico has been unwelcome for me, especially considering that from my perspective most of these errors haven't even been that bad. The Leicester one in particular exaggerated by a sequence of events after the matter of fact.

Nicos fine. He’s like Kev in that he wants to play every game so I don’t think he needs a break.

I agree with @mccity in that these errors aren’t all that bad/worrisome. The lecister goal was pretty comical. 3/4things had to play out perfectly for that shot to even come off clean and on target (imo Laporte should have closed down quicker as the final straw so almost 4/5 things).

You said what I was holding back on a lot there!

I imagine the rotation at centre back hasn't helped; Stones, Laporte and Kompany are very different ultimately.

Like you the jump to criticise Nico has been unwelcome for me, especially considering that from my perspective most of these errors haven't even been that bad. The Leicester one in particular exaggerated by a sequence of events after the matter of fact.
Lol. Enough people don't like my opinion, so I'm allowed to say these things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.