Nine years ago today - FA Cup semi-final against United

Fantastic day. So many memories. Getting off the plane at Stansted and all the workers at the airport wishing us well for the game. Spent all day eating, drinking and seeing some sites in London( even though I'd lived there in the 90s)
Got involved in a demonstration out side houses of parliament for some lad called Smiley culture who had been shot by the police. Then we realized we were running late for the game. Travelling on the tube to a game at Wembley and it's practically empty. Got into the ground just before we did the poznan when their teamsheet was read out. I never seen so many men cry at the end, it was like a weight had been lifted.
Celebrated into the night in London, hugging everyone. Met some lads who were fans of young boys Berne. Getting on well until I asked them were they called 'bernies'. They weren't happy but still the day the earth moved in a different direction

Am just watching the dvd of this match now and what already hits me is how loud we were that day; totally drowning out United fans - brilliant stuff!
Also, I’m really surprised at how much work Yaya put in chasing down the ball and giving them no time.

Talking of semis (not worth starting a new thread) just watching Maine Road packed to the gills for the scouse FA Semi from 77 - and how good was Duncan MvKenzie? What a player he was, even on pitches like that.

it was the game and the day when we stamped our authority.
will never forget traveling down and not one coach of rags fans until way after Birmingham.
coach driver was clueless hardly spoke English and dropped us off at the united end of Wembley. I had a city flag on a stick, had to dodge two or three bottles.

Met police horrendous from what I so, worse than fans in the build up to game. After the game seen one city fan stopping a copper on the floor being kicked in from a rags fan, by the time extra police ran in the rags fan had run off so the coppers gave the city fan a right battering with batons, and a I mean a battering. They wouldn't stop even though we where telling them what had happened. Bullies, even after when they realised they weren't arsed at all.

The Poznan was the best site seen at the new Wembley, then to top it all at the end the fans and players did it together. Why cant todays players have that sort of bond with the fans at the end of big games.

Only yaya could have put that ball away, the whole team played well. Mass celebrations, our end looked far better than rags end throughout the game.

to top it all going back to the coaches, the police had formed a line preventing about 150 rags fans from trying to run at city fans going to their coaches. City fans had started to gather to give them stick, my city top came off and I swung it round above my head right in front of them. Their faces !!!!!

it was the game and the day when we stamped our authority.
will never forget traveling down and not one coach of rags fans until way after Birmingham.
coach driver was clueless hardly spoke English and dropped us off at the united end of Wembley. I had a city flag on a stick, had to dodge two or three bottles.

Met police horrendous from what I so, worse than fans in the build up to game. After the game seen one city fan stopping a copper on the floor being kicked in from a rags fan, by the time extra police ran in the rags fan had run off so the coppers gave the city fan a right battering with batons, and a I mean a battering. They wouldn't stop even though we where telling them what had happened. Bullies, even after when they realised they weren't arsed at all.

The Poznan was the best site seen at the new Wembley, then to top it all at the end the fans and players did it together. Why cant todays players have that sort of bond with the fans at the end of big games.

Only yaya could have put that ball away, the whole team played well. Mass celebrations, our end looked far better than rags end throughout the game.

to top it all going back to the coaches, the police had formed a line preventing about 150 rags fans from trying to run at city fans going to their coaches. City fans had started to gather to give them stick, my city top came off and I swung it round above my head right in front of them. Their faces !!!!!

There was footage of that stand off at the coaches at the time. I remember it.

There use to be a youtube video of the players going back to their own half after the goal and a brilliant Poznan going on in the background.

I was in club Wembley for this one getting shit from the rags who seemed to occupy all the boxes behind me....
When Yaya scored me and 2 lads sat in front of me jumped up and bounced for about 10 mins....... :-)
Didn't hear another peep.out of the twats behind us...Great day that ... As some have said, that seemed to put us well and truly on the map and we've not looked back since .....!
I was too. And went mad when we scored. Got pissed on champagne.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.