No connection with the fans anymore.

Its not new and its not unique to footballers.
In 1982 or 1983 I was at Old Trafford with my grandad for Lancs v Kent. Chris Tavare was opening the batting for England at the time and a starstruck UWOB went to him with his much loved autograph book. 'Hello Mr Tavare, please would you sign my book, its great to see an England cricketer'.
The horrible smarmy looking moustachioed twat barely looked over and said 'Im warming up at the moment, cant you see?'
I walked back across to my old grandad with a quizzical look on my face and told him what just happened. He lost it, marched over, took the book with him, and i heard him say 'sign the boys book you horrible bastard, now'.
He fetched it back, gave it to me, and that night I ripped the page out anyway

It's like that in every high profile sport now. Doesn't matter where you live. More public the player.... More insular the environment away from the common fan.

I remember being shunned by Danny Tiatto when I was a kid when I asked for his autograph so I wouldn't necessarily say this is a new thing. Might be more players who are disconnected these days because of the money involved etc. I wouldn't take it personally.
Just as well you didn't have a water bottle with you!

I had a totally different experience. I have a daughter with cerebral palsy, who has met all the players and they have all been really good with her. When she was a mascot she asked to be walked out with yaya but was told to pick somebody else as he can sometimes be a bit Moody, but she insisted and yaya was amazing. When she struggled walking he carried her out on the pitch. So sorry that some people have had different experiences but we have been treated amazingly by man city over many years.

A couple of mates of mine took their kids last season and Kompany, Stones and Silva were brilliant with them and signed autographs etc....it's not all doom and gloom as portrayed on here.

Just to offer a different view on things:
Ive taken my daughter down to the training ground a few times.
On quite a few occasions Sergio stopped for us.
There was also a guy with his young lad once who got a bit upset and overwhelmed at meeting him, to which Sergio got out of his car and spoke the young lad and made him feel a bit at ease, which was a pretty nice thing to do.
Quite a few players stopped, others just drove past.
On the occasions where players don't stop, it's understandable, they do have their own lives and their own families and they could have had a number of reasons not to stop.

David silva and Kolarov are the two that generally stop on every occasion they leave the training ground.

I was told by someone at the club that the only two players who genuinely cared about City were Kompany and Zab. To the rest it's just a wage and they really don't give much of a shit.

A few seasons ago I was invited to the team hotel with some others from London and the SE (@Exeter Blue I am here was also there iirc) the night before we played Arsenal at the Emirates in a midweek game. The players were coming out of the restaurant and it was interesting to see their reactions to the 30 or so that were there. Quite a few just ignored us like we weren't there but the two who stood out were SWP & Tevez, particularly the latter. There was no quibble about photos and autographs and neither left until everyone who wanted one had one. Then Micah Richards & Dedryck Boyata came into the room where we were and the former was brilliant whereas Dedryck was like a rabbit in the headlights.

I felt a little sorry for them to be honest as it seemed like they were exhibits in a zoo. I had real respect for Shauny, Carlos & Micah who are larger than life characters and really seemed to relish the chance to connect with the fans but players like Boyata, Given and Lescott came over as essentially quite quiet and self-contained, maybe even a little shy. It's great if they do go the extra mile but I can't blame them if they don't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.