No knee jerk honest. But we have problems don't we.

Chippy_boy

Team supported
God's chosen team
We got well and truly battered by a good side tonight. But putting that to one side for a moment, I am very concerned that there are some fundamental problems with our team.

Our defence that has been built on the magnificent Kompany has looked well wobbly and Kompany has been far from himself, making all sorts of mistakes. (Definite penalty caused by him today for example btw but the ref got it wrong luckily.)

But I am not too worried about this. Komps will regain his form and he/Lescott/Kolo will get back to the solid defending we know, of that I have no doubt.

No, what worries me is our woeful lack of pace. It's far too ponderous in the build up, allowing all by the inept sides to regroup and get organised, making our attacking options very limited. We are constantly dependent on a moment of individual genius, and if that doesn't happen, the attack breaks down. If Silva can't find the killer pass, or Aguero the moment of brilliance, where is the threat coming from?

Even when we do break on a counter-attack, we get beyond the half way line and then stop and check back.

What concerns me is that this is not a momentary blip. It's down to the players we have. Where's the pace in the squad? Players who can and will run behind. All our strikers are coming deep to get the ball and for most of the time offer no threat.

We must be doing something right you would think, but when you look at our great results this season, in think they flattered us. Swansea bossed us for 20 minutes (worrying in itself) before falling apart. Spurs set up all wrong and positively refused to defend, thereby leaving us tons of space in front of their back four and we ran amok. The 5-1 was as much down the their dire defending as our great attacking. Also Dezko played out of his skin, which I hope we may see again because it seems to have lost him.

But we struggled for much of the time against Wigan (although the score says otherwise), and to an extent against Bolton. The Fulham capitulation wasn't exactly inspiring. We scraped a goal against Everton and got another again due to brilliance from Silva and the fact they were stretched.

I don't know how to fix it, I am a numpty really but I know when what I see is not right. I think we desperately need some width and pace on the wing(s). Johnson is not that players, and certainly not when played on the right. I am wondering if it was a mistake to let Sweep go. Pretty ridiculous when you think of the money we have spent that our squad could be so basically lacking.

After drawing with Fulham, having to win ugly against Everton and losing tonight I will admit I have my worries. I think it's a natural dip in form that every team has though, at least we still got 4 points in the league and played well for half an hour tonight. Our form will return but I think we have a few tests coming up to see if we can get points whilst in a slight slump.

On the centre back issue, I always shook it off after Lescott's form was so good but recently you can see we need a world-class centre-back alongside Vinny. No concerns about Vinny though, he'll be back.

Remember boys we're City fans, we stay loyal through everything and tonight we played Bayern Munich in the Champions League whilst being joint top of the Premier League.

CTWD.

Without getting into tacs and team selection, I think its this simple - we are good, but not as good as some would have you think.

Defence definitely needs some tweaking after the last couple of games, I understand Bobby wanting to give Kolo a chance as Lescott has made some (luckily not costly) errors of late, but he isnt the answer either. I'm hoping for the emergence of Savic as a contender for a CB the next season or two, he has looked pretty good what little weve seen. Vinny will get his form back, class is permanent and all that.

Yaya was lethargic. Barry, lovely player but he's not fast and that does cause him problems. I don't think they work together all that well, De Jong will freshen that old rock solid defence right up imo. He's been missed.

tbh at fulham we were pissing it till they scored n then blew it,
everton we played football they didnt still won.
tonights game v bayern we were the better team till they scored not being funny but ffs they are one of the recognised best teams in europe.

too many doom merchants on here

weve played some great stuff this season... oh n joint top with the scum twats

goat boy said:
Yaya was lethargic. Barry, lovely player but he's not fast and that does cause him problems. I don't think they work together all that well, De Jong will freshen that old rock solid defence right up imo. He's been missed.

Midfield non existent tonight. Barry no pace, Yaya "lung capacity of a flea" (copywright Didsbury Dave I think). Nasri, cant remember one telling contribution - needs to step up fast.

Still look at the bigger picture, its nearly October and we've only dropped two points in the league, so no we dont have problems, just beaten by a better side tonight. Onwards and upwards blues

For 30 minutes of tonight we were every bit good enough to be on that pitch, don't forget it. Don't also forget we should have been 1-0 up after 3 minutes, and providing everything continued as is, potentially 2-0 up with another penalty. Of course it never works like that, but do you think we would have capitulated that badly 2-0 up? No. And we would likely be having a right old sing and dance on here about bringing on Barcelona and we'll put them to the sword.

We're not as good as we thought going into the match, but we're nothing like as bad as some think at the end of it either.

We've gone back to last season's pattern of play for some reason. Tempo is vital and we lack it at the mo. But we had it earlier in the season.

lordloverocket said:
tbh at fulham we were pissing it till they scored n then blew it,
everton we played football they didnt still won.
tonights game v bayern we were the better team till they scored not being funny but ffs they are one of the recognised best teams in europe.

too many doom merchants on here

weve played some great stuff this season... oh n joint top with the scum twats

this, great post.

Too many ego's will be your main problem.

The likes of Tevez and Balotelli are a dressing room cancer. I read how Guardiola doesnt want Neymar because of his reported ''attitude''. Mancini needs to sign players that will improve you (ala Kompany and Silva), and not mercenaries after a huge pay cheque like Balotelli and Tevez.

I have been impressed with you this season, but i am not sure if your team spirit is as good as United's and other great European teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.