No knee jerk honest. But we have problems don't we.

Speed/Pace is the one thing we are lacking. Away in the Champions League you have got to play counter attacking football. And you need speed to be effective. Real Madrid do it the best. Arsenal won their Doubles and went a season unbeaten playing the best counter-attacking football I've ever seen.

Someone like Gareth Bale to play as an out and out winger who can devastate teams on the counter attack and is direct, is what we need.

villavine said:
The likes of Tevez and Balotelli are a dressing room cancer.

Balotelli is not a dressing room cancer at all, his "issues" have largely been out of football, he seems to get along with all the team and laughs a lot. He's described as very likeable by people at City, the on-pitch persona is a mystery as he is jovial off it. And he seems to be growing up, two mature performances and a hug for Mancini that seemed to send a message of unity between he and "Papa".

It's just that teams have found a way to play us.

But I think Nasri and Aguero's arrivals, Tevez's iisues and De Jong's absence prove too many changes for us.

But we'll get back to our comfortable selves. We'll find a good new balance between defense and attack, and things will be fine.

Blue Mooner said:
Chippy_boy said:
We got well and truly battered by a good side tonight. But putting that to one side for a moment, I am very concerned that there are some fundamental problems with our team.

Our defence that has been built on the magnificent Kompany has looked well wobbly and Kompany has been far from himself, making all sorts of mistakes. (Definite penalty caused by him today for example btw but the ref got it wrong luckily.)

But I am not too worried about this. Komps will regain his form and he/Lescott/Kolo will get back to the solid defending we know, of that I have no doubt.

No, what worries me is our woeful lack of pace. It's far too ponderous in the build up, allowing all by the inept sides to regroup and get organised, making our attacking options very limited. We are constantly dependent on a moment of individual genius, and if that doesn't happen, the attack breaks down. If Silva can't find the killer pass, or Aguero the moment of brilliance, where is the threat coming from?

Even when we do break on a counter-attack, we get beyond the half way line and then stop and check back.

What concerns me is that this is not a momentary blip. It's down to the players we have. Where's the pace in the squad? Players who can and will run behind. All our strikers are coming deep to get the ball and for most of the time offer no threat.

We must be doing something right you would think, but when you look at our great results this season, in think they flattered us. Swansea bossed us for 20 minutes (worrying in itself) before falling apart. Spurs set up all wrong and positively refused to defend, thereby leaving us tons of space in front of their back four and we ran amok. The 5-1 was as much down the their dire defending as our great attacking. Also Dezko played out of his skin, which I hope we may see again because it seems to have lost him.

But we struggled for much of the time against Wigan (although the score says otherwise), and to an extent against Bolton. The Fulham capitulation wasn't exactly inspiring. We scraped a goal against Everton and got another again due to brilliance from Silva and the fact they were stretched.

I don't know how to fix it, I am a numpty really but I know when what I see is not right. I think we desperately need some width and pace on the wing(s). Johnson is not that players, and certainly not when played on the right. I am wondering if it was a mistake to let Sweep go. Pretty ridiculous when you think of the money we have spent that our squad could be so basically lacking.

A lot of rubbish I'm afraid, we lost to Bayern Munich one of the top sides in the world and for 35 minutes we were the better side.

Goals change games and unfortunatley for us Bayern got it, nothing more complicated than that.

We should have had a penalty and but for Micah's theatrics we would have got one.

You also need to brush up on your rules, Kompany cleary impedes the player (obstruction) which is therefore an indirect free-kick in the penalty box at worst. It drives me mad how many people are unaware of some of the fundamental rules of the game.

We had the same last season when Boyata got sent off with the justification being he was the 'last man' when the rule clearly states it has to be denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Your analysis is flawed and just looking for a problem that doesn't exist. How you can even attempt to use the spurs game of 'proof' of problems is idiocy.

You can't play fast free flowing foootball when there are 21 players in one half that by itself leads to you having to pick out a pass and will inevitably slow the game down. You seem to think that the opposition should just come and play an open game to allow us to play fast attacking football.

The rags drew with Basle tonight so what are there problems ? Its one game we can lose, it doesn't automatically point to fundamental problems !! I'm sure 90 other English clubs would like to have the problems you have identified !!!

You should tell that to Barca!!<br /><br />-- Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 am --<br /><br />
Blue Mooner said:
Chippy_boy said:
We got well and truly battered by a good side tonight. But putting that to one side for a moment, I am very concerned that there are some fundamental problems with our team.

Our defence that has been built on the magnificent Kompany has looked well wobbly and Kompany has been far from himself, making all sorts of mistakes. (Definite penalty caused by him today for example btw but the ref got it wrong luckily.)

But I am not too worried about this. Komps will regain his form and he/Lescott/Kolo will get back to the solid defending we know, of that I have no doubt.

No, what worries me is our woeful lack of pace. It's far too ponderous in the build up, allowing all by the inept sides to regroup and get organised, making our attacking options very limited. We are constantly dependent on a moment of individual genius, and if that doesn't happen, the attack breaks down. If Silva can't find the killer pass, or Aguero the moment of brilliance, where is the threat coming from?

Even when we do break on a counter-attack, we get beyond the half way line and then stop and check back.

What concerns me is that this is not a momentary blip. It's down to the players we have. Where's the pace in the squad? Players who can and will run behind. All our strikers are coming deep to get the ball and for most of the time offer no threat.

We must be doing something right you would think, but when you look at our great results this season, in think they flattered us. Swansea bossed us for 20 minutes (worrying in itself) before falling apart. Spurs set up all wrong and positively refused to defend, thereby leaving us tons of space in front of their back four and we ran amok. The 5-1 was as much down the their dire defending as our great attacking. Also Dezko played out of his skin, which I hope we may see again because it seems to have lost him.

But we struggled for much of the time against Wigan (although the score says otherwise), and to an extent against Bolton. The Fulham capitulation wasn't exactly inspiring. We scraped a goal against Everton and got another again due to brilliance from Silva and the fact they were stretched.

I don't know how to fix it, I am a numpty really but I know when what I see is not right. I think we desperately need some width and pace on the wing(s). Johnson is not that players, and certainly not when played on the right. I am wondering if it was a mistake to let Sweep go. Pretty ridiculous when you think of the money we have spent that our squad could be so basically lacking.

A lot of rubbish I'm afraid, we lost to Bayern Munich one of the top sides in the world and for 35 minutes we were the better side.

Goals change games and unfortunatley for us Bayern got it, nothing more complicated than that.

We should have had a penalty and but for Micah's theatrics we would have got one.

You also need to brush up on your rules, Kompany cleary impedes the player (obstruction) which is therefore an indirect free-kick in the penalty box at worst. It drives me mad how many people are unaware of some of the fundamental rules of the game.

We had the same last season when Boyata got sent off with the justification being he was the 'last man' when the rule clearly states it has to be denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Your analysis is flawed and just looking for a problem that doesn't exist. How you can even attempt to use the spurs game of 'proof' of problems is idiocy.

You can't play fast free flowing foootball when there are 21 players in one half that by itself leads to you having to pick out a pass and will inevitably slow the game down. You seem to think that the opposition should just come and play an open game to allow us to play fast attacking football.

The rags drew with Basle tonight so what are there problems ? Its one game we can lose, it doesn't automatically point to fundamental problems !! I'm sure 90 other English clubs would like to have the problems you have identified !!!

You should tell that to Barca!!

Has anyone considered that we might just need time to settle in as a team? FFS it's been less than 10 games with this squad. We'll find our identity after a while, we have some world class players and a world class manager, we just can't be expecting to win the CL with a core that hasn't played with each other for more than a couple months. I agree another player with pace would help us out, but I'm sure the squad in place now is good enough to do big things with a little bit of time.

MiamiBlue said:
Has anyone considered that we might just need time to settle in as a team? FFS it's been less than 10 games with this squad. We'll find our identity after a while, we have some world class players and a world class manager, we just can't be expecting to win the CL with a core that hasn't played with each other for more than a couple months. I agree another player with pace would help us out, but I'm sure the squad in place now is good enough to do big things with a little bit of time.
THIS-all of it.
Aguero and Nasri's fantastic debuts skewed people into thinking they didn't need time to settle. They, as much as the ones already in place, need time to learn each other's nuances, esp when pressed.

We got the worst out of the way-how many *really* gave us a chance, away at Munich?? Hopefully this is the lowest point in our CL experience.

Every team has problems.

The only major problem we have now is to put this day behind us and focus on getting a win at Ewood Park.

That's all the players and staff will do if they know what's good for them.

goat boy said:
Yaya was lethargic. Barry, lovely player but he's not fast and that does cause him problems. I don't think they work together all that well, De Jong will freshen that old rock solid defence right up imo. He's been missed.

I have been saying the same things ALL last Season, and been accused of disloyalty and being a 'rag' for doing so:

BARRY is at best an average footballer and at worst a liability. Too slow in thought and deed, he's completely out of his depth at this level. Yet again,his basic errors cost us and its so bloody infuriating.

LESCOTT - tries hard but again, just isnt good enough. He should have been replaced in the Summer as a number one priority as its clear Mancini feels the same as me and prefers not to play him - Cahill was the man. We were forced into playing Toure instead and he hasn't played for a year!

TEVEZ - Should have been 'got rid of' last January. Those that criticised me for saying this - think on....................

NO LEADER - Speaks for itself. Tevez was chosen cos he runs around alot - christ,he doesn't even speak English! KOMPANY,good as he is/was, can't cope with it and isnt captain material. Picking someone just because they're the best player isnt good.

JOHNSON - We need width and the best winger in the Prem is kept on the bench. Same could be said for Milner,dropped just as he was showing form and confidence - and Barry plays instead!

MANCINI - Euphoria of end of Season party has gone,move on,its what winners do. He's making mistakes again. Why was Dzeko dropped just as he was getting form? This was disaterous. Why can't he see the team needs WIDTH!!!!!! Im fed up of being told our players are tired - why are they dif from any other playing in top euro teams? Why can our team only perform for 45mins at best? This is summed up by Yaya Toure................

I keep being told that saying this pre Season, and alot last Season is disloyal, but they are things that unfortunately are coming home to roost. just as we approach a really tough time of fixtures.

Rant over.

Tevez and Dzeko aside, we do have a major problem.

We are slow and pedestrian at times with the ball which against lower class opposition you will get away with but against the top sides, will see us continue to struggle.

For 30 mins last night we looked liked we really belonged then bang, goal against and we become as fragile as a piece of glass and look completely shell shocked and without any plan whatsoever.

Terrible 2nd half away at Fulham and a terrible 60 mins away at Munich.

Worrying to see as getting beat is one thing and expected by many against a real quality side that Bayern are but once again, its the manner of the defeat and almost capitulation that has many scratching their heads with worry.

Huge test against Blackburn now and the players need to stand up and be counted as the fiasco that was last night and the debacle surrounding Tevez and Dzeko has the possibility of ruining our season already.

Feel sorry for Bobby after last night and the fans that shelled out their hard earned.

I've noticed the pre-game warm up in the last few games, it's not like the normal warm up to me, all players run and chase the ball at full strength and sweat a lot for the like of 15-20 minutes before game, is that why our players look tired so early when in the game?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.