No knee jerk honest. But we have problems don't we.

Blue Mooner said:
Chippy_boy said:
We got well and truly battered by a good side tonight. But putting that to one side for a moment, I am very concerned that there are some fundamental problems with our team.

Our defence that has been built on the magnificent Kompany has looked well wobbly and Kompany has been far from himself, making all sorts of mistakes. (Definite penalty caused by him today for example btw but the ref got it wrong luckily.)

But I am not too worried about this. Komps will regain his form and he/Lescott/Kolo will get back to the solid defending we know, of that I have no doubt.

No, what worries me is our woeful lack of pace. It's far too ponderous in the build up, allowing all by the inept sides to regroup and get organised, making our attacking options very limited. We are constantly dependent on a moment of individual genius, and if that doesn't happen, the attack breaks down. If Silva can't find the killer pass, or Aguero the moment of brilliance, where is the threat coming from?

Even when we do break on a counter-attack, we get beyond the half way line and then stop and check back.

What concerns me is that this is not a momentary blip. It's down to the players we have. Where's the pace in the squad? Players who can and will run behind. All our strikers are coming deep to get the ball and for most of the time offer no threat.

We must be doing something right you would think, but when you look at our great results this season, in think they flattered us. Swansea bossed us for 20 minutes (worrying in itself) before falling apart. Spurs set up all wrong and positively refused to defend, thereby leaving us tons of space in front of their back four and we ran amok. The 5-1 was as much down the their dire defending as our great attacking. Also Dezko played out of his skin, which I hope we may see again because it seems to have lost him.

But we struggled for much of the time against Wigan (although the score says otherwise), and to an extent against Bolton. The Fulham capitulation wasn't exactly inspiring. We scraped a goal against Everton and got another again due to brilliance from Silva and the fact they were stretched.

I don't know how to fix it, I am a numpty really but I know when what I see is not right. I think we desperately need some width and pace on the wing(s). Johnson is not that players, and certainly not when played on the right. I am wondering if it was a mistake to let Sweep go. Pretty ridiculous when you think of the money we have spent that our squad could be so basically lacking.

A lot of rubbish I'm afraid, we lost to Bayern Munich one of the top sides in the world and for 35 minutes we were the better side.

Goals change games and unfortunatley for us Bayern got it, nothing more complicated than that.

We should have had a penalty and but for Micah's theatrics we would have got one.

You also need to brush up on your rules, Kompany cleary impedes the player (obstruction) which is therefore an indirect free-kick in the penalty box at worst. It drives me mad how many people are unaware of some of the fundamental rules of the game.

We had the same last season when Boyata got sent off with the justification being he was the 'last man' when the rule clearly states it has to be denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Your analysis is flawed and just looking for a problem that doesn't exist. How you can even attempt to use the spurs game of 'proof' of problems is idiocy.

You can't play fast free flowing foootball when there are 21 players in one half that by itself leads to you having to pick out a pass and will inevitably slow the game down. You seem to think that the opposition should just come and play an open game to allow us to play fast attacking football.

The rags drew with Basle tonight so what are there problems ? Its one game we can lose, it doesn't automatically point to fundamental problems !! I'm sure 90 other English clubs would like to have the problems you have identified !!!

I think I need to brush up on the rules...........

To the various people who have posted about Tuesday's game, with "we were doing ok for 30 minutes" or "Dzeko should have scored early on" or whatever: My thread is not about the Munich game.

It's about how we are playing at the moment. As someone said in the thread, after a brilliant start to the season, we have for some reason retrenched to the painfully slow build up play we saw for much of last season. Good enough for 3rd spot, yes. To win the PL (or god help us the CL), no chance.

And no, it's not a knee jerk because I have been thinking it for the past few games. Tuesday was just more of the same.

Some of it is temporary and form-related, and that can be fixed. Dzeko will probably find his shooting boots again and Kompany his defensive form. But is Barry going to suddenly become a yard quicker? No. Is someone going to transform themselves into Gareth Bale? No. Where is the width and the *pace* in the team? I find it suprising that Micah Richards - the same man of who we had a £100 wager as to whether he would manage a cross all season - has become the originator of many of our best chances. Of course he has come on leaps and bounds in that regard, but Alves he is not.

Regards the Kompany "penalty" - fair shout my bad. Indirect for obstruction.

Chippy_boy said:
To the various people who have posted about Tuesday's game, with "we were doing ok for 30 minutes" or "Dzeko should have scored early on" or whatever: My thread is not about the Munich game.

It's about how we are playing at the moment. As someone said in the thread, after a brilliant start to the season, we have for some reason retrenched to the painfully slow build up play we saw for much of last season. Good enough for 3rd spot, yes. To win the PL (or god help us the CL), no chance.

And no, it's not a knee jerk because I have been thinking it for the past few games. Tuesday was just more of the same.

Some of it is temporary and form-related, and that can be fixed. Dzeko will probably find his shooting boots again and Kompany his defensive form. But is Barry going to suddenly become a yard quicker? No. Is someone going to transform themselves into Gareth Bale? No. Where is the width and the *pace* in the team?

Which games do you think we've gone back to slow build up play? Against Everton and the way Everton played i don't think it would have mattered whether we have pace in the team or not as pace wouldn't have worked, there was no room to get in behind or down the sides because of how they set out, that game was all about being patient and we did it very well and came out on top against a well organised team who defended in numbers

The only two games where i can see where you are coming from is against Bayern and for the last 30 minutes against Fulham. These things will happen especially when up against a top side such as Bayern but i really don't think we have problems so to speak, theres things we need to improve on but there is for every team including the team we are on the same points as in the premiership who have just drew the last 2 games despite taking the lead in them both

Failsworth_Blue said:
Chippy_boy said:

Some of it is temporary and form-related, and that can be fixed. Dzeko will probably find his shooting boots again and Kompany his defensive form. But is Barry going to suddenly become a yard quicker? No. Is someone going to transform themselves into Gareth Bale? No. Where is the width and the *pace* in the team?

Which games do you think we've gone back to slow build up play? Against Everton and the way Everton played i don't think it would have mattered whether we have pace in the team or not as pace wouldn't have worked, there was no room to get in behind or down the sides because of how they set out, that game was all about being patient and we did it very well and came out on top against a well organised team who defended in numbers

The only two games where i can see where you are coming from is against Bayern and for the last 30 minutes against Fulham. These things will happen especially when up against a top side such as Bayern but i really don't think we have problems so to speak, theres things we need to improve on but there is for every team including the team we are on the same points as in the premiership who have just drew the last 2 games despite taking the lead in them both

Fair enough. Let's see how we do against Blackburn - their defence is well iffy.

I would make the following moves for Blackburn right now...

Yaya, Nasri, Dzeko, Barry out

De Jong, Milner, Johnson, Balotelli in

--------------Hart

Richards - Kompany - Lescott - Clichy

------------De Jong

A. Johnson --- Milner --- Silva

--------Aguero - Balotelli

villavine said:
Too many ego's will be your main problem.

The likes of Tevez and Balotelli are a dressing room cancer. I read how Guardiola doesnt want Neymar because of his reported ''attitude''. Mancini needs to sign players that will improve you (ala Kompany and Silva), and not mercenaries after a huge pay cheque like Balotelli and Tevez.

I have been impressed with you this season, but i am not sure if your team spirit is as good as United's and other great European teams.

I wish you'd piss off. Your posts today are getting boring.

We battered Everton, battered Fulham for 60 mins and got beat away against one of the top sides in Europe who are on absolute fire. If this is a dip, bring it on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.