Non-binary gender

Blue&whitestripes

Your point number 1. is incorrect. You’re describing sex there, not gender.

Now I’m a big advocate for the LGBT community and believe and support their rights. If a man wants to be a woman and vice versa then fair fucks to them, it takes guts to come out and do that, they’re not hurting anyone and 99.9999% of the time they don’t have children, whilst we’re going through a population crisis.

I do find these new genders that sit in between and the non-binary position a bit difficult, confusing and sometimes over the top though. I appreciate some people are born hermaphrodite and that must be pretty awful for them growing up but being a gay man and switching to non-binary is very odd.

That said, I’ve just remembered it doesn’t affect my life in the slightest, so why do I give a fuck?

The term "hermaphrodite" is not accurate when used about people (no-one, ever, has had functioning male and female reproductive systems). 99.98% of people are unambiguously male or female, including the very, very small proportion who have DSDs ie Disorders of Sexual Development, sometimes called - confusingly - "intersex". People who do have DSDs really dislike the use of the term "hermaphrodite", it's seen as a slur.

I'm not sure about that. There's been a spate of murders in America of transgender people in the past year. But going beyond that, I'm not sure how I'd feel going to a job interview as a transgender person, especially if I was very obviously so.

I believe it was Elizabeth Warren who recently read out a list of 18 transgender people (all transwomen) who have been murdered in this year. All murder is reprehensible and to be condemned. But to put it into context, 3 or 4 women are killed in the USA *every day*.

In the UK, between 2008-2017, there have been more murders committed by transwomen (12) than there have been murders of transwomen (9). (ONS figures)

The problem, for me, with all the "non-binary" business is that in order to be "non-binary" , you have to say "I don't feel entirely male or female" (a biological nonsense because you *are* one or the other) or "I don't feel entirely masculine or feminine", so in claiming a special descriptor for yourself, you are propping up outdated, regressive, restrictive, gender stereotypes which reinforce the binary, not break it down.

Ban-jani

The term "hermaphrodite" is not accurate when used about people (no-one, ever, has had functioning male and female reproductive systems). 99.98% of people are unambiguously male or female, including the very, very small proportion who have DSDs ie Disorders of Sexual Development, sometimes called - confusingly - "intersex". People who do have DSDs really dislike the use of the term "hermaphrodite", it's seen as a slur.

I believe it was Elizabeth Warren who recently read out a list of 18 transgender people (all transwomen) who have been murdered in this year. All murder is reprehensible and to be condemned. But to put it into context, 3 or 4 women are killed in the USA *every day*.

In the UK, between 2008-2017, there have been more murders committed by transwomen (12) than there have been murders of transwomen (9). (ONS figures)

The problem, for me, with all the "non-binary" business is that in order to be "non-binary" , you have to say "I don't feel entirely male or female" (a biological nonsense because you *are* one or the other) or "I don't feel entirely masculine or feminine", so in claiming a special descriptor for yourself, you are propping up outdated, regressive, restrictive, gender stereotypes which reinforce the binary, not break it down.

Thanks for the post, I didn’t know that about the term.

My point was merely to say non binary people are born like that.

KS55

They are having a lot of trouble in France with the gender issue. "La table" is to become "ze table" as it is coercive to assign a specific gender to an inanimate object. Tables will, in future, be addressed as zx, as in " ze table, I like the shape of zx".
Lexicographers, sociologists, and psychologists have set up a committee to assign a non gender specific form of address for all nouns in French, which is expected to report in about 20 years.
Meanwhile, the EU are considering a directive in which each country will be required to adopt non gender specific terms in their own languages and publish an official list thereof. Spain ,for example, will need to produce a minimum of three lexicons: Spanish (Castillian), Basque, and Catalan.
Commenting on a possible new Catalan lexicon, Pep Guardiola said:
" Fuck me."

KS55

Thanks for the post, I didn’t know that about the term.

My point was merely to say non binary people are born like that.
I would repost that, if gender in this sense is how you fit in socially for example, we are all non binary

urban genie

I would repost that, if gender in this sense is how you fit in socially for example, we are all non binary

You could say we are, the sperm and the egg contain all the make up for either biological sexes, it's a lottery what sex you will be, after that it's up to the chemicals produced by the brain and body to decide what you will be after popping out.

Though society also has a minor impact, the fact people of different genders and sexuality have existed since the dawn of man suggests even in the most repressive societ nature, in paticular the nature of each individual personally will come to the fore.

urban genie

Also as an aside the way people dress clothing thing is a distraction, men have worn skirts, tights etc and women briches or pants since mesopotania and ancient times and only society deems a strict dress code for people is needed to seperate the sexes.

kevin horlocks wand

Also as an aside the way people dress clothing thing is a distraction, men have worn skirts, tights etc and women briches or pants since mesopotania and ancient times and only society deems a strict dress code for people is needed to seperate the sexes.

Kate that’s a funny name for a boy

It’s short for bob.

7evens

Why do people care about this sort of thing so much when it doesn't really affect them? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't have an account?

Register now!
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.