Non league football.

Went halifax today and had a good day and a laugh. Alty got beat 2-0 and the shaymen took the piss by charging £21 to get in. Even a steward I spoke too outside was embarrassed at the price and inside they were lucky they didn't end up with a full blown riot with their over zealous behaviour. Good job the Robins lot aren't our lot.
£21 for a conference game? *shakes head*

Used to hop the school fence behind the goal to the left of the Main Stand, as my house backed up to the school.

Used to hop the fence on non-match days, too, to have a kick about in the goal!

Good days!

Only ever played there once with permission…vs Xaverian in the Cup. I think we lost as Xaverian were the top school team around back in the late 70’s-early 80’s.

Spent many a cold midweek night under the shed behind the “right hand” goal.

Always have a soft spot for Mossley FC. They even let me do pre-season training with them one year. My two lasting memories were:

1) running over to Micklehurst before training to use the Hollins pitches and having to run back up Old Brow to get back to the ground after training, and

2) everyone soaking their feet in a community alcohol rub bath before training, as if that was going to toughen up our feet and reduce blisters. Don’t remember it helping much!

What Mossley needed more than anything was a match ball sponsor or six, as if the ball went over two sides of the ground, it was probably not coming back! One side (opposite Main Stand) was thickets, the other was a park where lads would hang out hoping to snag one!

Ah, the memories, eh @Pablo123!
Great days indeed Chicago , sneaking onto the pitch for a kick about , felt like a real player . Early eighties Bob Murphy had a great team with the likes of Skeete , Moore , Smith and O’keefe who went to Everton for 25 k , great FA cup runs and regular attendances upto a thousand fans. Unfortunately I believe alot of the finances went AWOL .

Great days indeed Chicago , sneaking onto the pitch for a kick about , felt like a real player . Early eighties Bob Murphy had a great team with the likes of Skeete , Moore , Smith and O’keefe who went to Everton for 25 k , great FA cup runs and regular attendances upto a thousand fans. Unfortunately I believe alot of the finances went AWOL .
Lennie Dickinson and the Birtwistle brothers.
Ian Mellor a bit later.
Mike Summerbee played in a match too!
Then there was Howard Wilkinson..

Living in Norfolk, I watch Wroxham (The Yachtsmen) play now and then. They play in the Thurlow-Nunn League (Step 6) Darren Huckerby & Chris Sutton's lads play for them, and are currently top with a 100% record. 7 wins from 7 games with a +28 GD.
£12 to get in and a decent Bar on one side of the pitch.

Bloody hell, Eamonn O’Keefe is a blast from the past! I left for the States in ‘82, so I think he may have been a late 70’s Mossley player! Another Manchester lad made good!

In fact, I think he was a Howard Wilkinson (Yes, THAT Howard Wilkinson, who was the Mossley manager for a bit!!!) find, because it was Wilkinson that let me train with them at the time. He must have known my Dad.

Them were the days, eh?!

Bloody hell, Eamonn O’Keefe is a blast from the past! I left for the States in ‘82, so I think he may have been a late 70’s Mossley player! Another Manchester lad made good!

In fact, I think he was a Howard Wilkinson (Yes, THAT Howard Wilkinson, who was the Mossley manager for a bit!!!) find, because it was Wilkinson that let me train with them at the time. He must have known my Dad.

Them were the days, eh?!
Always said Wilkinson wouldn’t know class if it was in front of him ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.