Non petrol head car chat

Has anyone on here got or had a Land Rover? What is their reliability like?

By buying a new car you're going to loose 20% depreciation just by driving it home. Get a good 3 year old and let someone else take the hit.
My new outlander cost me the equivalent of 14k quid.
I'll keep it 7 years, the length of warranty then sell it.
I'll completely look after it, full service history.
The cost of a 7 year old outlander here is equivalent of about 6k quid.
So I'll get 7 years trouble free motoring - under warranty, for 8k or just over a grand a year.
I'm okay with that.

My new outlander cost me the equivalent of 14k quid.
I'll keep it 7 years, the length of warranty then sell it.
I'll completely look after it, full service history.
The cost of a 7 year old outlander here is equivalent of about 6k quid.
So I'll get 7 years trouble free motoring - under warranty, for 8k or just over a grand a year.
I'm okay with that.

That's in Oz.......... and they're twice that price over here.

when I got company vehicles I just got the standard reps chariot of the time lobbed at me for 3 year intervals. It was a good knock the extra tax paid dwarfed the real cost of buying and owning a car.

When I am buying my own I don't mind buying an old clunker - running it around - servicing it then moving on. I agree that Japanese cars have tremendous reliability and that is where my own stupidity lets me down. I do keep falling for old French or Italian cars - fun to drive but really just a group of impending faults travelling together in close formation. Doubt I'll ever learn as I look out of the window at the 07 Scenic on the drive just sat there plotting its next component failure or electrical fault lol.

Oh and never a diesel and never an auto.

when I got company vehicles I just got the standard reps chariot of the time lobbed at me for 3 year intervals. It was a good knock the extra tax paid dwarfed the real cost of buying and owning a car.

When I am buying my own I don't mind buying an old clunker - running it around - servicing it then moving on. I agree that Japanese cars have tremendous reliability and that is where my own stupidity lets me down. I do keep falling for old French or Italian cars - fun to drive but really just a group of impending faults travelling together in close formation. Doubt I'll ever learn as I look out of the window at the 07 Scenic on the drive just sat there plotting its next component failure or electrical fault lol.

Oh and never a diesel and never an auto.

I agree with never an auto but next time I’m dipping my toe into a diesel I think, the low tax and high mpg cannot be ignored.

I agree with never an auto but next time I’m dipping my toe into a diesel I think, the low tax and high mpg cannot be ignored.

Have had 6 over a good few years the first in 95. An Astra - followed by a second one - which used an Isuzu low pressure turbo diesel engine with a mechanical pump. Proper slugs - no go in them and with a heavy engine up front very nose heavy but absolutely unburstable. Later I had an Astra 20L with a direct injection engine and electronic pump - that was the best - @ 2000/01 - fast, handled well and even fully loaded with the aircon on I couldn't get it below 50mpg. Same engine later in a Zafira was a dog - blew turbo twice and had a number of issues in 3 years.

Steered clear for a few years then in 2012 I relented and got a Ford C-Max 1.6D Titanium new. Worst car I have ever had - too many faults to list but many many electrical engine management faults and fuelling issues. Put me off diesels and Fords forever.

However as per my previous posts outlining my vehicular stupidity I look forward to waxing lyrical about what a great buy my 15 year old Mondeo diesel is in a future thread lol

Have had 6 over a good few years the first in 95. An Astra - followed by a second one - which used an Isuzu low pressure turbo diesel engine with a mechanical pump. Proper slugs - no go in them and with a heavy engine up front very nose heavy but absolutely unburstable. Later I had an Astra 20L with a direct injection engine and electronic pump - that was the best - @ 2000/01 - fast, handled well and even fully loaded with the aircon on I couldn't get it below 50mpg. Same engine later in a Zafira was a dog - blew turbo twice and had a number of issues in 3 years.

Steered clear for a few years then in 2012 I relented and got a Ford C-Max 1.6D Titanium new. Worst car I have ever had - too many faults to list but many many electrical engine management faults and fuelling issues. Put me off diesels and Fords forever.

However as per my previous posts outlining my vehicular stupidity I look forward to waxing lyrical about what a great buy my 15 year old Mondeo diesel is in a future thread lol

I’m likely to be getting a Volvo d4/d5 or a Laguna coupe next. The Volvo is the sensible choice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.