North Stand Expansion | Configuration plans revealed by club (p 1285)

In that last paragraph you are adding 2 + 2 and getting 7. I’m certain the hospitality / GA stuff at the front of the stand - which has not been explained was not a factor in the decision making, but it may have presented an option to sell these seats at a slightly higher price but I’m not sure we will be seeing people in tweeds unpacking F&M hampers quaffing Don Perignon as you seem to envisage.

I was only messing about on that point. The addition or loss of 700 G+ seats isn't going to add a huge amount of revenue in the grand scale of things.

I was only messing about on that point. The addition or loss of 700 G+ seats isn't going to add a huge amount of revenue in the grand scale of things.

I suspect it will be pay more for convenience. Sit (or stand) at the front and a chance to buy food and drink quicker in your own bar.

I suspect it will be pay more for convenience. Sit (or stand) at the front and a chance to buy food and drink quicker in your own bar.
True. People will always pay extra for that.

A new 65,000 capacity stadium costs over £1billion. We don’t need a new 100,000 capacity stadium. We’d never fill it. Putting a retractable roof on the Etihad stadium and fitting it out into an indoor arena would cost £100millions. I know Sheikh Mansour is rich, but even he couldn’t justify spending £1.5 bill on a new stadium and converting the Etihad into an indoor arena.
I remember Franny Lee stating after he'd rebuilt the 15,000 seater Kippax, he would replace the North Stand and Platt Lane in the same way and fill in the corners to take the capacity to 60,000. There were loads of people whinging then that we'd never fill it. The same arguments were made when we moved from Maine Road. We'll never fill it.

I would rather we played in a bigger stadium which was full for the big games and less full for the average ones. You want the bigger matches to be special and have a better atmosphere, so the more the merrier.

One thing is certain, the current demand for Premier League matches and some Champions League matches far outstrips supply.

It will be interesting to see how they actually do the new roof on the North Stand.

If you imagine you took the whole roof off the stadium. Then added seats in the 3rd tier to extend the East Stand and Colin Bell to the same depth for their full length and filled in the corners to meet the North and South stands, ( ie have a full bowl all the way round at the top) it would probably hold 90,000-100,000. These seats would effectively be an extension on each stand, adding more hospitality.

If you look at the way the South Stand has been done, it would be easy to extend this round. So the major work would be taking the roof off each side and replacing it. However you could stagger it and do one corner at a time.

I think this is the long term intention. Mubarek hinted at a 90,000+ capacity in the future when they first planned the South Stand expansion.

If the capacity ever surpasses Old Trafford, and we fill it, then we truly have eclipsed them in every way. So I'm all for making it as big as possible!

Oh for anyone interested, this YouTube channel is documenting stadium expansion/development he has a few videos on the Etihad, Bramley Moore etc

He sends his drone of films aerial views of the progress. This is his third video so far, just filmed today:

I remember Franny Lee stating after he'd rebuilt the 15,000 seater Kippax, he would replace the North Stand and Platt Lane in the same way and fill in the corners to take the capacity to 60,000. There were loads of people whinging then that we'd never fill it. The same arguments were made when we moved from Maine Road. We'll never fill it.

I would rather we played in a bigger stadium which was full for the big games and less full for the average ones. You want the bigger matches to be special and have a better atmosphere, so the more the merrier.

One thing is certain, the current demand for Premier League matches and some Champions League matches far outstrips supply.

It will be interesting to see how they actually do the new roof on the North Stand.

If you imagine you took the whole roof off the stadium. Then added seats in the 3rd tier to extend the East Stand and Colin Bell to the same depth for their full length and filled in the corners to meet the North and South stands, ( ie have a full bowl all the way round at the top) it would probably hold 90,000-100,000. These seats would effectively be an extension on each stand, adding more hospitality.

If you look at the way the South Stand has been done, it would be easy to extend this round. So the major work would be taking the roof off each side and replacing it. However you could stagger it and do one corner at a time.

I think this is the long term intention. Mubarek hinted at a 90,000+ capacity in the future when they first planned the South Stand expansion.

If the capacity ever surpasses Old Trafford, and we fill it, then we truly have eclipsed them in every way. So I'm all for making it as big as possible!
There was an Artist's impression if the programme of Spurs 5-2 or the 3-3 v Soton around the same time in 94 showing the whole ground like the emerging new Kippax, but there were never real plans, plus we were getting 24k.

This was drawn up by someone on Skyscapercity 9(?) years ago:-

Wu634He.jpg

Oh for anyone interested, this YouTube channel is documenting stadium expansion/development he has a few videos on the Etihad, Bramley Moore etc

He sends his drone of films aerial views of the progress. This is his third video so far, just filmed today:

All the piling being filled with concrete and steel reinforcements, not long till the main construction will begin !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.