North Stand Expansion | Configuration plans revealed by club (p 1285)

no disruption? The process of adding an additional tier normally involves build over the existing roof which is then removed during the close season many example including our South Stand I doubt this would be easy for the East & CB Stands due to the height of the CableNet roof support structure for the which sits on top of the spirals
Correct, not to mention we'd be adding 12000+ seats above 3 tiers that hold approx 16000 seats in total. Never ever going to happen.

Is the demand so great that we could sell 6,000 extra seats at £70 a pop for a midweek game at a time when your average Manc is most likely being bitten by inflation/interest rates/higher taxes/stagnating wages or recession? It's a tough ask, that.
The target market is not Dave the warehouse guy and his two kids Mark and Susan living in a terraced house in Crumpsall, saving hard all year for a match ticket, where they'll have a burger and chips, wearing scarves bought off a dodgy barrow stall.
They'll have a great time and tell all their mates at school who'll be jealous as fuck. Next year they hope their mum can go with them. She hopes she will if the kids don't need new shoes.

The target market is Jan Ole with his brother Sven and their partners Ange and Hilde, IT professionals coming from Norway to see their golden boy on a long weekend trip where they'll spend a grand each on match tickets, hotel, meals, a show at the Co-op Arena, shirts from the shop, stadium tour. They'll go home having had a great time tell their mates and plan another trip before the end of the season.

It's the new world football order.

There has to be a place for both.
And I want to know why my eyes are watering.

The target market is not Dave the warehouse guy and his two kids Mark and Susan living in a terraced house in Crumpsall, saving hard all year for a match ticket, where they'll have a burger and chips, wearing scarves bought off a dodgy barrow stall.
They'll have a great time and tell all their mates at school who'll be jealous as fuck. Next year they hope their mum can go with them. She hopes she will if the kids don't need new shoes.

The target market is Jan Ole with his brother Sven and their partners Ange and Hilde, IT professionals coming from Norway to see their golden boy on a long weekend trip where they'll spend a grand each on match tickets, hotel, meals, a show at the Co-op Arena, shirts from the shop, stadium tour. They'll go home having had a great time tell their mates and plan another trip before the end of the season.

I haven't seen the interview with the chairman in full yet and only snippets on Sky Sports News so I maybe shouldn't comment. I did notice he kept emphasising how commercially successful we are though.

It's sad that Dave, Mark and Susan are so close to the club geographically but in all truth are worlds apart. We should be doing all we can to keep that core Mancunian support. Seem to hastily be turning into the dark side from the City of Salford.

Last edited:

I know. Not having a balance is shortsighted - leaving right or wrong to one side. Dave will come for 50, 60, 70 years. But Ange and Hilde's custom is dependent on Haaland staying, Pep staying, flight costs, where we are in the league, where else and what else they want to see in the world, maybe Arsenal come back stronger next season and they have a soft spot for Odegaard too...case in point, my kids watch basketball but we're not local to the US obviously, so between us we've got four clubs - the youngest likes Celtics, the eldest likes the Bucks, the Mrs likes the Suns and I like the '76ers...we might 'one day' see one of those teams and spend a bit, but we're not a reliable source of income or support for any American basketball team by any stretch...that's the space reserved for our local football team, which is City.

Prioritising tourist spend seems to take little account of the fact that a) the global economy, not just Britain, isn't doing that well and b) City home crowds aren't getting any younger. If Dave's dad has an ST as a senior citizen, but Dave can't afford season ticket rises, or can't get one for himself or his kids, or gave his up when he lost his overtime and now can't get back on the train and can't justify paying nearly a pound a minute to watch a game, then that's years of recurring revenue lost, because he would keep coming and keep paying if prices were within reason. But if they're not, then they'll buy the replica shirt and watch in the pub along with the thousands of Mancunians who love the club and turned out for the parade but don't get to games, and after a while they won't be bothered about actually going to the match anymore, and won't feel any less of a Blue for it because most of the Blues they know these days are watching it in the pub or at home on telly anyway.

Maybe that is what the club wants then, local lower spending fans to bring in TV revenues and shirt sales and tourists to dominate matchday crowds to drive food, drink and merchandise revenues...but it will be a sad day if they achieve it, and if they do, I have a hard time believing it's as sustainable as a captive, albeit lower spending but loyal domestic audience.

City won’t be able to sell an additional 6000 match day tickets. Many match day tickets have remained unsold this season due to the prices the club are charging for them. The match day tickets will be more expensive in 2 years time. There has to be a mixture of every type of season ticket and match day ticket made available. The priority is to sell 6000 additional seats, not leave the seats empty.

One thing the club should do next season is put back the 1000+ seats they’ve removed. That can be done easily as the terraces are still in place. The old advertising boards could be put back into place, if the club still has them, or the current lower advertising board could be left where it is, and the upper advertising board could be put into storage for 2 years.

As the capacity of the Etihad will be slightly reduced because of the North stand expansion, and demand for tickets will be at an all time high, the club has to give as many City fans as they can the opportunity to watch the European Champions and Treble Winners.

View attachment 83879

Thing is those 1000+ seats don't generate as much revenue as the double layered advertising on those electronic boards do ... so you and I should know between 1000 more fans in vs more ££, where the club's priority lies. They won't hesitate taking off another 1000 seats in front of another tier as well if that meant better potential of earning advertising revenues there ...

Thing is those 1000+ seats don't generate as much revenue as the double layered advertising on those electronic boards do ... so you and I should know between 1000 more fans in vs more ££, where the club's priority lies. They won't hesitate taking off another 1000 seats in front of another tier as well if that meant better potential of earning advertising revenues there ...

Those seats also didn’t get a great response. People got soaked when it rained and the views weren’t very good.

no disruption? The process of adding an additional tier normally involves building over the existing roof which is then removed during the close season, many example including our South Stand I doubt this would be easy for the East & CB Stands due to the height of the CableNet roof support structure which sits on top of the spirals
I think they would have to demolish the 3rd tier, then extend the 2nd tier back and then rebuild a 3rd tier. Can't see that happening due to the cost involved.

Dave, Mark and Susan have just spent a grand each on their trips to Istanbul so Danny thinks he can get another £40 out of them.

Joking aside, priority games will continue to get more and more expensive and lower profile matches will be cheaper with kids tickets starting at a fiver.

City want to increase the corporate and core fan base. Season tickets prices will continue to increase at a bit below the rate of inflation.

There will be excess demand for brilliant quality football until at least the expanded Norse Stand opens.

City will prioritise increasing membership numbers including the virtual stadium memberships.

Correct, not to mention we'd be adding 12000+ seats above 3 tiers that hold approx 16000 seats in total. Never ever going to happen.
They said we'd never win the cup, then the league,then the double,the domestic treble,100 points,3 on the bounce,5 in 6,Champions league, Pure Treble etc etc.

Never say no when you don't know what you're talking about....and don't shoot the messenger !!

Probably true.

I'm on about giving an extra 1000+ City fans the chance to see the CL winners and Treble team. Surely that is much more important than a few grand more from LED advertising boards, especially when you think of how much City have made last season from prize and TV money. Khaldoon has just said in his end of season interview the fans were the 12th man last season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.