Northern Rail

They really are an abomination of a company who need stripping of the franchise, they treat customers with contempt and the only area they seem to be proactive is the ever increasing number of revenue protection goons at their stations. Everything about them is third rate and thanks to Grayling and co are never held to account.

Many services rely on drivers doing OT to operate efficiently.Currently they have a 'no rest day working' policy that needs negotiating,otherwise this farce will continue.
The new timetable isn't a favourable one for many passengers.This week,and probably beyond,will be a nightmare,especially for staff in the firing line.

Many services rely on drivers doing OT to operate efficiently.Currently they have a 'no rest day working' policy that needs negotiating,otherwise this farce will continue.
The new timetable isn't a favourable one for many passengers.This week,and probably beyond,will be a nightmare,especially for staff in the firing line.

well, the theoretical timetable would have worked perfectly for me. the real one has no trains running to it...

They really are an abomination of a company who need stripping of the franchise, they treat customers with contempt and the only area they seem to be proactive is the ever increasing number of revenue protection goons at their stations. Everything about them is third rate and thanks to Grayling and co are never held to account.

They all need stripping of their franchise .........

I saw 3 of them in the car park at a small w. Yorks station the other day. Seemed to be enjoying their cigs and chats.

I have had the misfortune of travelling through the station at Manchester Airport a few times recently. I have simply given up and will in the future be driving and parking instead. On Friday, as I queued to buy my ticket, there were a number of helpful staff on hand to aid and direct those in need of assistance (i.e. part with their money) but that's where the positive ends. On reaching the platform it becomes apparent that all the train information monitors are out of action. People seem to be waiting at the beginning of the nearest platform, folk from all over the world muttering amongst themselves. There are no rail employees to be seen and the only tannoy messages seem to be about security - no actual usable information. On checking my National Rail app, my train has been cancelled - the usual 'no train staff available' excuse - so I look for other routes. Should I go to Piccadilly and risk the mayhem of platform 14 on a Friday rush hour or gamble that the next train will arrive - I choose the latter. A 45 minute wait (would have been quicker and cheaper via the tram, oh well) so I proceed to the sunshine at the end of the platform. I notice a Trans Pennine Express employee cowering in the corner of that cubicle thing as I pass by, poor fella.

About ten minutes later a train turns up on platform 4. Is this the 19:29 to Piccadilly? The phone app says there's one due at that time. I could catch this and go via Metrolink to Radcliffe, if it is. No screens, no tannoy, the driver is accosted by a group of inquiring passengers. It isn't the train I thought it could be, that one is now, simply, 'delayed', and this one stands silently, taunting and teasing the waiting customers. A muscle-bound gentleman is taking on security, pleading with him to look at his phone, desperate for news on the train that he says should be here, right now, but isn't. "I'm just security" says the man. A French lady with her entourage is listening intently but gives a gallic shrug. We're all French today.

I pin my hopes on the 20:02 to Southport. Currently on time, my phone says. Some more trains arrive, as does the tannoy announcer. He has a jolly voice and there's laughter in the background, which doesn't help matters but at least people seem to be going somewhere now. My train appears, exactly at the time my app changes to say 'arrival 20:11', it leaves at 20:14 and is still scheduled to arrive at my destination at its scheduled 20:45 slot. Optimistic to say the least and eventually impossible when we sit at Oxford Road for 15 minutes whilst we "await train crew".

My destination is reached at 21:15. 21 miles and two hours travelling.

What must our overseas guests think of us.

My Burnley-supporting neighbour told me this morning he was stuck at the level crossing at Smithy Bridge at about 23:30 last night and a SIX, yeah, that's 6, single number, same number we battered the Ragamuffins by, carriage train scuttled through the station, all gleaming, not a soul on it. Wonder what that was about? Probably making its circuitous route down sarf to relieve the overcrowding in the Home Counties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.