Norway in December?

I've been to Iceland in the winter. You just need to plan your touristy bits for the light. After that it doesn't really matter in the pub.

£10 we should all go
Did you get lucky with the lights?

Cheap to get there, yes. But as expensive as anywhere on the planet once there. So if it's a questionable time of year to go, it's not such a trivial expense really. And that brings me back to why I was asking if anyone here has been to Norway in winter. And if they have, I'd be keen to know whether they were still able to do everything they wanted to.

Right.

I've been in December. And January. And August. It's 10 quid. Find a hotel. Pay a lot for that. Have a beer or 3. More expense. But...

It's an experience. If you can afford it, and you have the spare time, then go. People should explore, experience new things.

Ive been in December. It can be fucking freezing. It's a nice city though. As has been said, take your credit card.
Cheers. Did you go in search of the Northern lights at all? Definitely keen to hunt them. Would probably need to fly up to Tromso or something?

Right.

I've been in December. And January. And August. It's 10 quid. Find a hotel. Pay a lot for that. Have a beer or 3. More expense. But...

It's an experience. If you can afford it, and you have the spare time, then go. People should explore, experience new things.
Yep, agreed. I think I just need to save the fjords for another time, forget about them for a while. Take advantage of the winter darkness and try to find the Northern Lights!

Did you get lucky with the lights?
Nah unfortunately. We just went for cheap hols (until you buy your first pint). Saw the geezer, the gap in the plates and went to that blue lagoon place - which is fuckin ace. Would like to see the northern lights before I die, but won't be too gutted if I don't - Dickov and Aguero are my northern lights :)

Cheers. Did you go in search of the Northern lights at all? Definitely keen to hunt them. Would probably need to fly up to Tromso or something?

I've not been to Oslo but have been to Tromso, it would have to be quite a strong storm ( Kp 4 + ) to be seen down Oslo way. It's possible but the chances are less likely that Tromso which is one of the best places in the world to see them, we saw them 4 out of 7 nights up there.

This is an ok site for predicting aurora

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe/20151031

But this is the the best site for info but is a proper info overload. I'm only scratching the surface of it.

http://www.solarham.net

If you want a break down post here and I'll do it when j get on my PC,it's too much to do on a phone.

Edit: on a side note, it's predicted to be a kp7 on Tuesday, which should be enough to see them in Manchester, best place I've heard of is the northern side of winter hill.

Last edited:
Nah unfortunately. We just went for cheap hols (until you buy your first pint). Saw the geezer, the gap in the plates and went to that blue lagoon place - which is fuckin ace. Would like to see the northern lights before I die, but won't be too gutted if I don't - Dickov and Aguero are my northern lights :)
Are they all on the golden circle?
I've not been to Oslo but have been to Tromso, it would have to be quite a stron storm ( Kp 4 + ) to be seen down Oslo way. It's possible but the chances are less likely that Tromso which is one of the best places in the world to see them, we saw them 4 out of 7 nights up there.

This is an ok site for predicting aurora

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe/20151031

But this is the the best site for info but is a proper info overload. I'm only scratching the surface of it.

http://www.solarham.net

If you want a break down post here and I'll do it when j get on my PC,it's too much to do on a phone.

Edit: on a side note, it's predicted to be a kp7 on Tuesday, which should be enough to see them in Manchester, best place I've heard of is the northern side of winter hill.
Just had a brief look at the first site. Very useful! Thanks mate. Seems Tromso is an ideal place to see them, on a par with Iceland.

I will have to study the 2nd site in more detail!

One other trick we have used in Scandinavia is to find a hotel that does BnB and an afternoon snack.

The clarion collection we stayed in up in tromso did that ( mini buffet and waffles from about 6-8 or similar ) and we didn't have to eat out at all.

Also if you fancy a drink and don't mind not going out but a bottle of wine from an off licence or supermarket and save a fortune.

I love nordic countries in winter, snuggled in a nice tavern with the snow driving outside, bit of shopping, missus wondering where your going to shove that "shopping" when you get back home and if you are feeling gentle or rough...i digress.
Dunno Norway that well but fucking well take a jumper.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.