Norway in December?

I enjoyed Oslo in late November a few years back. It was odd when it got dark at 3 in the afternoon though.

Very clean city for the size. The airport was immaculate. People were very friendly.

Cheers. Did you go in search of the Northern lights at all? Definitely keen to hunt them. Would probably need to fly up to Tromso or something?
If you're going because of the northern lights then be aware that you need to think about solar activity not price of the flight. Ive seen them lots of times so never made a trip to see them. Hell we saw them on the Fylde coast back in the late 80's.

If you're going because of the northern lights then be aware that you need to think about solar activity not price of the flight. Ive seen them lots of times so never made a trip to see them. Hell we saw them on the Fylde coast back in the late 80's.
Yeah. I need to do more reading, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think usually the lights can be seen for 2-3 days and then not seen for 5-6 days before returning again? So to give me the best chance, I should stay for at least a week. Then it's down to luck and praying for clear skies on the day(s) that there is activity!

Yeah. I need to do more reading, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think usually the lights can be seen for 2-3 days and then not seen for 5-6 days before returning again? So to give me the best chance, I should stay for at least a week. Then it's down to luck and praying for clear skies on the day(s) that there is activity!

Yep it is pretty much random, we are at the end of the solar maximum* at the moment so better trying sooner rather than later.

The sun has an 11 year cycle, maximum and minimum. Maximum is when the sun spots are at the most frequent and sun spots help create aurora. It was maximum in 2013. While sun spots are not 100% necessary for aurora they help a lot.

If your specifically looking for northern lights I would suggest Tromso, or try looking at the author sky station, it's in Sweden and I expensive but has a good hit rate.

I've got a workshop installation to supervise the week immediately before Christmas in Tromso just inside the arctic circle I believe

Cost is not a concern as I'm on expenses but I am trying to bring it forward a week because I really sorry that I'll get stuck there for the holidays if the weather closes in.. Northern lights aside I'd rather be at home for the festivities...

I've got a workshop installation to supervise the week immediately before Christmas in Tromso just inside the arctic circle I believe

Cost is not a concern as I'm on expenses but I am trying to bring it forward a week because I really sorry that I'll get stuck there for the holidays if the weather closes in.. Northern lights aside I'd rather be at home for the festivities...

Fingers crossed you will be ok weather wise and good luck with the northern lights!. the 1st night we saw them we were just on our way out to have a wander around town and there they were. we found a dark car park near the sea to get a better view.

If you get chance go husky mushing too.

Double check, but im pretty sure the airport ryanair send you too is fucking miles away from Oslo

Edit: Just checked and its about 45 miles from Oslo. How they can call that Oslo i dont know, its like from manchester to leeds

Double check, but im pretty sure the airport ryanair send you too is fucking miles away from Oslo

Edit: Just checked and its about 45 miles from Oslo. How they can call that Oslo i dont know, its like from manchester to leeds
Bloody hell, scamming bastards! Oslo my arse! Just had a look and it's an hour by train from the airport to Oslo and costs roughly £11.50... more expensive than the flight haha!

wonderful city.

We went in Jan a couple of years ago - same dirt cheap flight.

There's a cheap bus from the airport to the city centre which is a great way to see the countryside on the way in.

Look on Trip advisor at hotels - we found one which does a free buffet evening meal, as well as bed and breakfast, which is a great way of saving on the ludicrously expensive food and drink. The all you can eat breakfasts are great to stock up and steal some stuff for packed lunches on the hoof, then the free evening meal (accompanied by duty free G+Ts in water bottles) is great - food not michelin but fill yourself up on stodge of the day for free then take in the views from the rooftop terrace in the snow before heading out to blow the budget on some £10 pints or £15 glasses of wine... This we found was the way to go after accidentally ordering a salad, a small lasagne, two small bottles of lager and two glasses of cava for lunch in a cafe on the first day. It was about £80!!

All made up for by the heavens opening with HUGE snow on the first night and just a magical place... Trip advisor is your friend!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.