Notts county relegated (p7).

Not according to Gary James yesterday...... he said everyone says Stoke but it is Nottingham Forest.
According to Wiki Stoke were formed as Stoke Ramblers in 1863 while Forest were formed in 1865. Stoke dropped the "Ramblers" bit in 1878 and added "City" in 1925 when Stoke was granted city status.
Stokes badge includes the number 1863. I'm fairly sure it's not their address.
I thought I read somewhere that Stoke had folded and re-started but can't find any reference to it. There is also some doubt as their first documented game wasn't until 1868.
Whatever; the oldest league team is on the Trent.

According to Wiki Stoke were formed as Stoke Ramblers in 1863 while Forest were formed in 1865. Stoke dropped the "Ramblers" bit in 1878 and added "City" in 1925 when Stoke was granted city status.
Stokes badge includes the number 1863. I'm fairly sure it's not their address.
I thought I read somewhere that Stoke had folded and re-started but can't find any reference to it. There is also some doubt as their first documented game wasn't until 1868.
Whatever; the oldest league team is on the Trent.

Stoke say they were formed in 1863, and have it on their shirt

Yeah, I was getting my dates mixed up.

I should have known it was 1863. I read it on my mate's cap often enough when I lived there. Doh!

So I stand by my original post that the Potters are now the oldest league club.

Come on @Gary James sort this out!
Easily done - Nottingham Forest are now the oldest League club. The Stoke formation in 1863 is a myth (like Mufc playing games before 1880 or Anna Connell creating City!). I have co-authored an academic paper on this with a Stoke fan - https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14660970.2016.1276247 - If you cant access it this gives a summary: http://www.playingpasts.co.uk/archi...ring-the-origins-of-stoke-city-football-club/

Sorted!

cheers @Gary James - The 1863 thing does seem to be pushed in many areas. I suppose counting on ones fingers when there are a couple to spare makes maths a bit complicated.
The biggest issue is that Stoke rushed to put 1863 on their badge and then celebrate an anniversary in 2013 to make some cash. Typical of some clubs marketing. MCFC did absolutely the right thing putting 1894 on our badge - we have evidence, proof etc. Had the club put 1880 that could have made City a laughing stock as:

- there may well have been soccer games before 1880 (I find it hard to accept that a game against a church from a different religion, who had to travel several miles on trains, and then the game was reported on in at least 4 different newspapers was the actual first. More likely this was the second season or at least the 3rd or 4th game). Had 1880 been put on and then we suddenly find evidence of a game in 1879 then that would have made the club look silly.
- The club re-formed and merged several times and so the root from that first reported game to 1894 is a complex one and could be argued by some that MCFC is not the same club (indeed Ardwick AFC continued after MCFC was established for a while and many Ardwick figures were against the new club MCFC; plus MCFC themselves claimed to be a new club and not a reformed Ardwick).

Facts are important to football fans but, as with the Empyhad, no history and other jibes, so many ignore the evidence.

The biggest issue is that Stoke rushed to put 1863 on their badge and then celebrate an anniversary in 2013 to make some cash. Typical of some clubs marketing. MCFC did absolutely the right thing putting 1894 on our badge - we have evidence, proof etc. Had the club put 1880 that could have made City a laughing stock as:

- there may well have been soccer games before 1880 (I find it hard to accept that a game against a church from a different religion, who had to travel several miles on trains, and then the game was reported on in at least 4 different newspapers was the actual first. More likely this was the second season or at least the 3rd or 4th game). Had 1880 been put on and then we suddenly find evidence of a game in 1879 then that would have made the club look silly.
- The club re-formed and merged several times and so the root from that first reported game to 1894 is a complex one and could be argued by some that MCFC is not the same club (indeed Ardwick AFC continued after MCFC was established for a while and many Ardwick figures were against the new club MCFC; plus MCFC themselves claimed to be a new club and not a reformed Ardwick).

Facts are important to football fans but, as with the Empyhad, no history and other jibes, so many ignore the evidence.
Cheers @Gary James - One of the ones I find most annoying is that we were top at Christmas before going down in 83. It's fairly easy to check but so many keep repeating it.

Cheers @Gary James - One of the ones I find most annoying is that we were top at Christmas before going down in 83. It's fairly easy to check but so many keep repeating it.
Yes, it was the year before (we were top I mean);-)

One of my bugbears (apart from the Anna Connell myth) is the League Cup and Euro double. Leeds did it before City (but......)

Yes, it was the year before (we were top I mean);-)
One of my bugbears (apart from the Anna Connell myth) is the League Cup and Euro double. Leeds did it before City (but......)
The League Cup and Euro double for Leeds is debatable according to some as the Fairs Cup was never recognised by UEFA even though it eventually became the UEFA Cup (sort of).
Consequently UEFA don't count Fairs Cup appearances in a club's European record. FIFA do consider it as a major honour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.