Odd stat from this season?

IcriedwhenTueartleft

Just watching the recent home games against Palace, Burnley and Sunderland and something struck me...from checking the match stats from all our home games this season including Champions league games, we have only scored 2 goals from open play whilst attacking the South Stand end since end of August. In fact, if you include August, the figure is only 3 goals.
We do of course tend to attack this end in the 1st half if we win the toss and in the majority of games we play towards that end first yet rarely score (needed pens against Roma, Bayern & Everton for example) although when we attacked the North Stand in the 1st half against Burnley, scored twice.
Just coincidence or is it down to us just wearing teams down in the 2nd half and gaps appearing..

Is there any actual reason why we choose to attack the South Stand in the first half of games, as opposed to the second half? You'd have thought that attacking the end where our more vocal support are congregated in the second half would be an advantage, particularly in games where the bus has been parked up.

jimharri said:
Is there any actual reason why we choose to attack the South Stand in the first half of games, as opposed to the second half? You'd have thought that attacking the end where our more vocal support are congregated in the second half would be an advantage, particularly in games where the bus has been parked up.

Precisely Jim. Or, as we tend to score more at the other end why not attack the North End first half and out the game to bed?

IcriedwhenTueartleft said:
jimharri said:

Precisely Jim. Or, as we tend to score more at the other end why not attack the North End first half and out the game to bed?

Think Paul ince was the first manager (notts county), to make us attack the north stand in the first half......may be wrong.

It was a master stroke from Burnley to switch ends wasn't it? I feared the worse when I saw them do it. Most teams like to attack their popular more partisan and noisy ends in the second halves.

The stats on this have been pretty incredible for about 4 seasons. Score far more kicking that way.

I remember us playing QPR, I think it was in May 2012 towards the end of the season....we scored 1 goal in the first half facing the South Stand and then 2 in the second half facing the North/Family stand - scientific proof, although I am unsure many people will remember this typical end of season game!

One point I have made in the past is the winter sun over the South Stand- there have been many a game when we kick off at 12-3pm when Hart has had the sun in his eyes for the entire first half facing the South Stand, and by the second half it's gone behind the CB stand and doesn't affect the away keeper at all - any decent Sunday league manager would take this into consideration before making the call at the toss (that and wind direction so you can hoof it in the second half :))

It's good to see the club have noticed this and have started building a massive sun screen at the South end of the ground!

Tarzan41 said:
The stats on this have been pretty incredible for about 4 seasons. Score far more kicking that way.

It's all about:
[1] Grinding teams down and scoring most goals in the second half and
[2] When opponents win the toss they like playing towards their own fans in the 2nd half.
[3] City chose to play towards the North stand in the second half if they win the toss. - All down to Komps scoring the winning goal against Utd in 2011-12 at that end I think.

BlueAnorak said:
Tarzan41 said:

It's all about:
[1] Grinding teams down and scoring most goals in the second half and
[2] When opponents win the toss they like playing towards their own fans in the 2nd half.
[3] City chose to play towards the North stand in the second half if they win the toss. - All down to Komps scoring the winning goal against Utd in 2011-12 at that end I think.
Nope; that goal was scored at the South Stand end, just a minute or two before HT. From a Nasri corner IIRC. You're not the only one to wear a blue anorak!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.