Offended by food?

Obviously it's a minority because the cuisine's he's butchering are by definition minorities.

Food is a massive part of culture and heritage, particularly for immigrants, and it's a source of pride and connection to where you come from.

So when someone like Oliver rolls up, absolutely butchers their national dishes, launches some new hedge-fund backed restaurant chain that puts all the local family run restaurants out of business, and then leaves when that food's not trendy anymore it's makes people angry.

Where I am, we lost a couple of really good, family run Italian restaurants that had been going for 40 years when Jamie's Italian come along, and they don't come back just because Jamie's went bust. Same thing happened with Giggling Squid and Thai. Fortunately the local Carribbean kitchen is still going despite Turtle Bay's pathetic imitation opening.

Hiring a person to say "look, we're not inauthentic, we've got this Jamaican/Thai/Ghanian/Mexican on staff who say it's legit, isn't going to solve the problem or stop people hating the business model.
Yup, same goes for cook books, where posh white birds who've been on a gap year decide they can write books just stealing the traditional recipes passed down through generations of the places they visit and sell them to make themselves some easy money. The sad reality is that publishers and consumers eat that shit up, hence why they do it.

Obviously it's a minority because the cuisine's he's butchering are by definition minorities.

Food is a massive part of culture and heritage, particularly for immigrants, and it's a source of pride and connection to where you come from.

So when someone like Oliver rolls up, absolutely butchers their national dishes, launches some new hedge-fund backed restaurant chain that puts all the local family run restaurants out of business, and then leaves when that food's not trendy anymore it's makes people angry.

Where I am, we lost a couple of really good, family run Italian restaurants that had been going for 40 years when Jamie's Italian come along, and they don't come back just because Jamie's went bust. Same thing happened with Giggling Squid and Thai. Fortunately the local Carribbean kitchen is still going despite Turtle Bay's pathetic imitation opening.

Hiring a person to say "look, we're not inauthentic, we've got this Jamaican/Thai/Ghanian/Mexican on staff who say it's legit, isn't going to solve the problem or stop people hating the business model.

I visit a Syrian cafe that does a full English breakfast better than anyone else, there are countless Chinese chippies around my area that do English dishes and probably have done for 40 years.

If the food is good enough then the establishment stays open, if it isn't then it closes. If someone wants to sell Chicken curry or chow Mein then they should be able to without food snobs cocking them the hoot.

FWIW I don't do themed restaurants or eateries I just go to places that I like irrelative of their ethnic origin.

Christ, I was offended by the beetroot and mash and sago pudding and prunes served up at Uppermill primary school. Particularly as the witch of a dinner lady used to flick your ear if you didn’t finish the slop.
I’m gonna say my spam fritters, lumpy mashed potatoes and almos dissolved cabbage would have given that a run, especially as they were brought in from a secondary school three miles away

I’m gonna say my spam fritters, lumpy mashed potatoes and almos dissolved cabbage would have given that a run, especially as they were brought in from a secondary school three miles away

The food of gods, had a great spam fritter last year from a place in Newcastle and am looking forward to my next trip there.

The food of gods, had a great spam fritter last year from a place in Newcastle and am looking forward to my next trip there.
Maybe it was the ten minute derive from the other school in a sealed pressure can…….normally don’t hate spam

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.