official "i was a city fan before we got successful" thread

Never admitted this before on here and this thread seems a good place to do it.

My dad is a lifetime rag and took me to O/T when I was a kid (about three times a season from the age of 6-10). I was usually allowed to bring a mate with me and we would sit in the Stretford End and cheer when they scored. This was around the mid-80s.

My older brother is a lifelong Blue and took me to Maine Road when I was 11. We beat Stoke (I think) 3-2 and everything about the day felt different to my trips to United with my dad. The people around me. The atmosphere. It just seemed more real if that makes sense.

I accompanied my bro again the next home game and we got trounced by someone. And that was it....I was hooked!
City to me reflected life. Brilliant and exciting one week. Crap and depressing the next.
At O/T if the rags scored the feeling around me was akin to 'about time too'.
At Maine Road there was uncontained glee and almost surprise.

That Xmas my parents got me a whole load of United gear for presents.
I mean pretty much everything was United - alarm clock, socks, scarf, whatever you care to mention.
And I was absolutely gutted. I had to feign delight but each time I opened a present I was desperately hoping it didnt have that fucking devil logo on it.

Later that day I arranged to sell every one of my presents to my mate (the one who'd come to O/T with me and my dad those times) for a ridiculously knock-down price of a couple of quid for the lot.
I genuinely feel bad for that now. Considering my mum and dad would have saved for months to buy me them. But....well I'm sure you can all understand why.

Shortly after I mustered up the courage to tell my dad that I was a blue. Both jokingly and semi-seriously he has never forgiven me for it. To produce one blue was bad enough but to now have two...he saw it as the ultimate betrayal.

From the age of 13 onwards (the 1987 season) I was a season ticket holder who went to every away game too.
I was the only City fan in my school (live in Wales) and once got the shit kicked out of me the Monday after our 5-1 in '89 by some older rags there.
City is the thing I'm most associated with by people who only half-know me.
If I bump into someone I havent seen for years in Asda for example the first thing they'll mention is how well we're doing.

I still very occasionally think back to those few occasions at O/T where I used to join in a song about Norman Whiteside and shudder. But in my defense, until you're 10 and over, you really dont have much say in things.

So thats my story. I should have been a rag. But my brother saved me. I guess thats what big brothers are for - to look out for you.

its all to much my favorite song is we never win at home and we never win away. its brilliant on away trips to be pissed up and singing that after a thumping good loss and seeing the bemused faces of opposition fans cos we are still enjoying ourselves, its just not the same keep winning !!
suppose better keep trying to ferret out derby ticket for my 22 year old daughter who has never wanted to attend (nearly said come) before £48 extra quid where was she when we were shit ???

jft20b said:
i started supporting city when we signed robinhoihno! was going to leave back to liverpool because they have good players like david n'gogbia and fernando morientes... but they are crap now... so i stay with city.. because i like michael richards... and david silver.

Fecking brilliant !!!!

My first game was Boxing Day 1975.

We lost 0-1 at home to Leeds.

Never been to a game again until we started signing great players and looking like we might win something.

Can I be part of the gang please?

stumpy_mcfc said:
jft20b said:
i started supporting city when we signed robinhoihno! was going to leave back to liverpool because they have good players like david n'gogbia and fernando morientes... but they are crap now... so i stay with city.. because i like michael richards... and david silver.

Fecking brilliant !!!!

BTW I am a full on Glory hunter and proud of it first game 1968 and still here but only started support the blues because they won that game. Who know what would have happened if they had lost.

You know guys we really do need all these new fans that will come along and we should embracing them - not saying "I have been here longer than you" bollocks. It is going to be these new and returning fans that are going to sustain us. Another thing folks need to take into account is that the bills need to be paid and our current fan base cannot do that. The same people complaining about glory hunters will be the ones priced out of the game, unless we sell more tickets, shirts and anything else that is blue.

i was on the Mancity Forum before i joined here, my first match was in 2004 went to see City vs Norwich ended 1-1 after Willo Flood had put us one up and then Damian Francis scored 10 seconds after second half kick off and for the last two seasons (take over season and last season) ive had a season ticket in block 106 east stand and i bought the tickets while Thaksin was still in charge, can i be in the gang?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.