official "i was a city fan before we got successful" thread

SkyBlueFlux said:
Well although I'm only young compared to a lot of people on here I could still never be called a glory hunter.

I remember my first game pretty well, it was against Chesterfield in September 1998 and we drew 1-1. My dad had decided to take me and my older cousin (who was already a big blue) because I'd never shown an interest in any football club before and he thought it was about time he tried to pass on the family tradition.

He was actually very clever in bringing my cousin because I looked up to him massively as a kid and so his enthusiasm for City instantly effected me. The rest is history, I was hooked. I joined a local football team, constantly played football at school and talked about City to my friends (who were all united fans).

I went to a couple more games that season, one being Burnley, I think Goater scored a last minute equaliser. Then my dad took me to Wembley, one of the single greatest experiences of my childhood. As an 8 year old I was in awe of the whole thing. Then one day over a pint, my dad and uncle decided that, as tickets were still relatively cheap, they would pay for me and my cousin to have a season ticket.

I grew up in the stands of Maine Road and COMs, season ticket year after year until Stuart Pearce's first full season when my dad had to quit his job and it was no longer affordable to go every week.

I've moved away now and haven't been to a game in a few years, but one day when I can afford to I'll be back with a season ticket.

SBF (I was here when we were shit)

Nearly brought a tear to the eye that did! I hope to see you soon at coms mate.

Okay confession time....

Being born and bred in an Oxfordshire shit hole called Banbury, I have no obvious connections to City, or indeed any local profession outfit. My first football shirt was a Spurs one that my Mother bought me for PE aged 5.... but

My first professional live football match was on 7th November 1987, Maine Road and was to see City win 10-1, My Mums boss was a committed City fan and took me as a treat... from that moment that was it. I guess you can call me a glory fan for following a winning team, but I think the subsequent intervening years have proved an adequete test... A particular highlight being watching us lose 2-1 away to Lincoln!!!

I joined this site after the takeover so I guess I have to go into the glory hunter section.

my real story... im 21... supported city since i can remember.. dad is a avid blue being from manchester so didn't have much choice in the matter. nearly missed my birth because he was outside listening to city on the radio... cant blame him really. he said to me when i was old enough to understand .. "support anyone else but city and you will be thrown out the house.. and if its united i wont speak to you again" the advise was taken.. but i didn't need it.

first game was against Everton aged 4 i think... we won 4-0. im more nervous now than i was then... i think its because i want us to be successful so much.. each game means more. i live in a little town.. and there are only about 3 of 4 blues.. not including my dad and my brother who got the same treatment as me. so living in Wales surrounded by rags and both sets scousers you can imagine what i spend most of my time in the pub doing... defending the i club love.

i used to get the kit every year... but the one remember most purely because when i look back how horrible it was. its the maroon and white away kit. <a class="postlink" href="http://manchestercitymemorabilia.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://manchestercitymemorabilia.co.uk/ ... ucts_id=72</a>

i also had this beauty. <a class="postlink" href="http://myfirstcitygame.com/wp-content/pics/Paul_Dickov_jpg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://myfirstcitygame.com/wp-content/p ... ov_jpg.jpg</a>
(wasnt my first game but thats just the site)

and hear i am 17 year later.. feeling 47 years old.. loving what's happening to the club and would quite happily ruin my mates night on the beer defending the club against random glory hunters i don't know.

stumpy_mcfc said:
stumpy_mcfc said:
Fecking brilliant !!!!

BTW I am a full on Glory hunter and proud of it first game 1968 and still here but only started support the blues because they won that game. Who know what would have happened if they had lost.

You know guys we really do need all these new fans that will come along and we should embracing them - not saying "I have been here longer than you" bollocks. It is going to be these new and returning fans that are going to sustain us. Another thing folks need to take into account is that the bills need to be paid and our current fan base cannot do that. The same people complaining about glory hunters will be the ones priced out of the game, unless we sell more tickets, shirts and anything else that is blue.

i completely agree with everything you said in this post... especially the glory hunter part haha.
but i personally will feel a big sense of pride when we win something, because i know.. i was there when we where shit, and i have links to the club through my dad etc. and maybe thats what this thread should be about!

Though I joined in 2009, I have to admit i also joined forums of Villa and Spuds and West Brom, hoping that one of these clubs will get into the top 4.

Now that City's the strongest contender, I will stick around but will cautiously bide my time until City lifts the trophy. when that day comes, I will consider myself a true Blue.

I think everyone is missing the point with this. I'm 28 and have been a season ticket holder for 15 years and my dad 40 years. I've never seen us even get to a final (apart from play offs) never mind win anything. But one thing that i certainly won't do is wear my years of suffering as a badge of honour.
If people call me a gloryhunter then i couldn't care less - i know the truth and that's all that matters to me - and i want city to win because i want city to win - not to show everyone else what a loyal person i am

I used to have an old account on here like 3 years ago but got slated for being a Rag. Paha.
My first city game (I'm only 18) was in 2006 wigan at home. Highlight of my city attendance has to be United away though. Darius got legendary status for that goal ;)

Was anyone at the villa away game where we lost 4-2 but there was a villa fan in our end.?
I was too far away to see what happened after he stood up cheering. Twat.

Random post over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.