Old football board/card games

And just thought back to matchbox rugby, drew the pitch in the dirt in the schoolyard and made goalposts with your hands.

Seeming as you mentioned cricket as well, I had this little beauty. I even sent off for the West Indies team, who were the same fielders but black with the maroon jumpers. Great game
cricket2.jpg

Seeming as you mentioned cricket as well, I had this little beauty. I even sent off for the West Indies team, who were the same fielders but black with the maroon jumpers. Great game
cricket2.jpg
Thats the one i had!! hours of fun with that game as a kid :)

Been thinking about those games I had as a kid that you played in the house on rainy days. Apart from the obvious Subbuteo or the earlier version "Newfooty" does anyone remember a board game called "Wembley"? 64 teams on cards you drew from a hat and rolled two dice for the scores, round by round till the Cup Final. Or a card game called "Penalty"? Think there was also a cricket game "Owzat?" in a tin box. Any others that folk can recall?
This is the cricket one you mentioned and that I had
pic66615.jpg

I had a tin plate football game that had indentations in it where the small ball bearing came to rest after each pass, the players were controlled with their own levers it was complicated noisy but thoroughly fantastic.

Team Tactics was a board game I remember playing. You had to build a team of eleven players and you had 90 minutes to do it. Person who got the most valuable team won.

Had a footie game on a plastic pitch with players in 'dips' on springs, got nowhere near my Subbuteo football, cricket or rugby.

Grand Slam. Felt pitch and small wedges with tiny players on top. You pushed the ball about with the block end of the wedge and tried to use the wedge end as a ramp to chip the ball. I preferred it to Super Striker.

cricket2.jpg
Have the older version of that (somewhere in the loft) where the batting mechanism is metal with a simple ‘hammer’ as the bat and no batsman figure, the fielders just monochrome stylised plastic ‘stick men’ with no individual poses (very flimsy and too often broke off from the base) and the surround a simple wooden rectangle. Much less aesthetically pleasing than this more modern counterpart but still afforded us hours of fun. Also still have the two ‘Owzthat’ cylinders (they were my dad’s) but without the tin box, alas. Such a simple concept for a game that could be played anywhere. Who needed on-line games back in the day, eh?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.