Old song

Used to be a bit of a run through of old songs at the final home game of the season but even that seems to have died out.

I was thinking while reading this thread we'd robbed you are my City from Spurs but now I'm thinking it was something else around the same time.

An oldie I remember from the 60's:

Whenever you're sad
Whenever you're blue
Whenever the City are playing
In league or cup we'll fight like fuck
To keep the blue flag flying

Think it was loosely based on a song called "Just Like Eddie" by a guy called Heinz, the ex Tornado's bassist.
Good song that by Heinz, that "thump, thump" beat to it before the "Just like Eddie" line, well taken up at Maine Rd.
But who was Eddie? Could be sung again for a Brazilian goalkeeper.

Always wished Maine Rd had borrowed the Elvis classic "Can't help falling in love with you." The most romantic song sung by football fans, Raith Rovers had it first.

This ditty emerged on a supporters’ bus going to London (either Leyton Orient or Charlton) towards the end of the promotion season in 1965-66.

the Small Faces were booming out Sha La La La Lee spontaneously the supporters added Sha La La La Summerbee. This remained a City standard for many years.

I think it was United fans a season or so later who responded to ‘Sha La La La Summerbee’ with ‘Who the Fucking Hell is He’. City fans responded with ‘The greatest centre-forward in history’.

It was usually ‘centre-forward’ because for most of the title-winning season in 1967-68, Summerbee wore the number 9 shirt with Lee in number 7.

Later after City won at Old Trafford in 1968, the final ditty of ‘United 1 and City 3’ was added.
. Georgie best has got VD

We used to drag out the word ‘City ‘ for minutes on end: Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...........etc.
I miss that one.

0:23 seconds in, when we get a corner.

We should do it every time we get a corner (or free kick) now. It would be one that the whole stadium would get involved in.

It can take a good twenty seconds to take some corners (or free kicks) so from the time the South Stand and Kippax Corner start going “CIIIIIIIII....” as soon as we get the corner (or free kick), by the time we take the corner (or free kick) thousands could be belting it out.

Get the corner (or free kick) “CIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...”
Corner (or free kick) taker walks over “IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...”
Take the corner (or free kick) “IIIITY”!

This is something that’ll raise the atmosphere generally. The atmosphere is always better when the rest of the ground has something they know and can join in with. We have so many corners that it will make our support around the ground more active more often and make it more likely they’ll sing with other songs that get going more n’all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inside forward?
formation_235_numbers.png

Colin Bell was an inside-right forward.

Ok ..just heard an old song “You are my Sunshine” on the radio and (unless I’ve imagined it) It took me straight back to the kippax as we sang it about the blues:
“You are my City, my only City
You make me happy, when sky’s are grey
You’ll never know (something?) how much we love you,
Please don’t take my sunshine away“.

Anyone else remember it? I used to love it. Also could replace the word City with David or Bernardo Silva?
That is one of the finest songs we've ever sung IMO. Made my hairs stang up on the back of my neck standing on the Kippax. We should bring it back to be sung regularly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.