Old song

I have a fridge magnet i bought abroad that says: When skies are grey. It's stuck on the wall next to my desk at work and not a one of the stupid sky sport rags I work with know why i have it. The blues in the office do, we're not allowed any footie paraphanlia. Little victories make the day go quicker.

There was the Eve of Promotion song from the 1965-66 season, based on the PF Sloan penned Barry McGuire classic 'The Eve of Destruction'.

I can't remember the words apart from a reference to 'bottles throwin', but the chorus went:

'And you tell me over and over and over again, you don't believe we're on the Eve of Promotion'.

The last time around (and towards the end of the season) it was changed to:

'And you tell me over and over and over again, you DO believe we're on the Eve of Promotion'.

An oldie I remember from the 60's:

Whenever you're sad
Whenever you're blue
Whenever the City are playing
In league or cup we'll fight like fuck
To keep the blue flag flying

Think it was loosely based on a song called "Just Like Eddie" by a guy called Heinz, the ex Tornado's bassist.
Teams may come and teams may go but city go on for ever, with kevin and wag it's in the bag and beat us they will never. Kevin being Derek kevin

Yes a lot of good songs have fallen by the way side.

There used to be a song which went like this

‘we are the M the A the N the C the I, T , Y we have got the greatest team that money couldn’t buy

We come from Maine road Manchester, were gonna win the league and when it comes around again your sure to hear us sing... and repeat.

Won the league 4 times in 7 years and never heard it once

"We've got an M an A an N a C an I T Y, we've got the greatest football team that money couldn't buy, We come from Maine Road Manchester and City is our name, City is our name" gets sung at away games once in awhile.

"In 1963..." should get sung more.

"We were born in Gorton then we moved to Moss Side" - another classic which you never hear any more

"We've got an M an A an N a C an I T Y, we've got the greatest football team that money couldn't buy, We come from Maine Road Manchester and City is our name, City is our name" gets sung at away games once in awhile.

"We were born in Gorton then we moved to Moss Side" - another classic which you never hear any more

Love this song,iv got it on an Mp3 with city lads singing it,to the tune of matchstick men

We were born in gorton,we moved to moss side
from there our name spread far and wide
everybody's seen a sky blue shirt
from old aged men with hair like snow
to 5 years olds who beg to go
stood side by side
they watch their team with pride

And people ask you who you support and you tell em
and they dont know why,why ?
doesn't matter if theyv'e won or lost
just as long as they tried
no man u or aresenal for me
its Bell Lee Summerbee
i'll be a kippax kid
until the day i die

na na na na na na na na na na City

That version must be the new funky version and yes it has triggered a memory of the song being sung at away games. Both versions are cracking.

Love this song,iv got it on an Mp3 with city lads singing it,to the tune of matchstick men

We were born in gorton,we moved to moss side
from there our name spread far and wide
everybody's seen a sky blue shirt
from old aged men with hair like snow
to 5 years olds who beg to go
stood side by side
they watch their team with pride

And people ask you who you support and you tell em
and they dont know why,why ?
doesn't matter if theyv'e won or lost
just as long as they tried
no man u or aresenal for me
its Bell Lee Summerbee
i'll be a kippax kid
until the day i die

na na na na na na na na na na City

Yep, me and my mates used to sing it all the time on coaches/pubs - the lyrics aren't widely known so not worth starting in the ground unfortunately. One of the great City songs IMO

100% correct this version.
I don't know where I got Joe Mercer involved. It was always Bertie Mee and Joe Harvey, who were managers of Arsenal and Newcastle at the time.
There aren't many managers called Bert and Joe nowadays.
Thanks for the confirmation manclad,at 64 years of age wasn`t 100% convinced myself I had remembered correctly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.